Financial Controller (AVP)
- Morgan Stanley
- Glasgow, UK
- Not disclosed
- 24 Jan 2023
- 13 Feb 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
The Compensation Controller team is led globally from Glasgow and is part of Legal Entity Controllers. The function is responsible for financial accounting, control, and reporting, both internal and external, related to the Firm's compensation and benefit expenses globally.
The Compensation Reporting team is responsible for the preparation of the Firm's internal and external compensation related financial and regulatory reporting (including statutory financial disclosures). As a result, team members perform a variety of functions within their roles, offering a breadth of experience for the right candidate.
- Financial and statutory reporting across all GAAPS and legal entities
- Technical advisory and discussion on compensation related matters
- Regulatory reporting on all compensation related account line items for example for FED and FinRep returns
- Management reporting for the Firm and its legal entities compensation expenses
- Management reporting for the CFO and other senior stakeholders
This role represents an exciting opportunity to further develop a variety of skills and be part of a global function.
- Work in the Finance department of one of the world's top tier Financial Institutions and a first-hand insight into our business
- A desirable compensation and benefits package including eligibility for an annual bonus
- Professional development opportunities including access to Morgan Stanley's world-class internal training program
- Enriching challenges that provide opportunity for constant learning and advancement
- A supportive and inclusive environment, we accept individual differences and use them to better our work environment and culture
- A balance between personal and professional lifestyles, including flexible working opportunities such as work from home arrangements
- High specification office space with leading technologies, collaborative working spaces and wellbeing facilities including an onsite fitness suite
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and strong team ethic. We can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
What will you be doing?
Have responsibility for internal and external reporting processes relating to The Firm's compensation and benefit expense, including the oversight, review, and management of:
- Compensation related statutory account disclosures such as Staff Costs, Employment Compensation, Post-Employment Benefits and Key Management Personnel disclosures
- Responses to internal and external audit inquiries
- Detailed monthly compensation and benefits expense reporting and supporting variance analysis for presentation to senior management
- Quarterly regulatory reporting which requires a detailed analysis of compensation and benefit expense particularly under US GAAP
- Production of adhoc internal and external compensation related reporting
- Continuous enhancement of reporting outputs and process efficiency
Additionally, you will be required to work closely with HR, Accounting Policy, and other controller groups such as Legal Entity Control and Tax to:
Ensure the completeness and accuracy of all disclosures and regulatory reporting outputs, advise upon compensation related technical matters which impact internal and external reporting and conduct technical accounting research including documenting findings and decisions in relation to the impact of the following on compensation related internal and external reporting - accounting policy changes, GAAP and Companies Act amendments, GAAP differences, Firm restructuring etc.
What we’re looking for:
- Professional Accountancy Qualification, or equivalent specialisation in Finance
- Knowledge of preparing statutory accounts, financial statements and/or disclosure
- Technical accounting experience, such as interpreting accounting standards
- A background of finance team leadership and/or resource management
- Strong communication skills; clear, concise, and appropriate method of delivery
- Experience with establishing and meeting critical deadlines, as well as tracking and driving execution
- Risk awareness and good guardianship skills
- Demonstrated experience in building reporting or new processes with strong Excel and technical skills
- Flexibility to change priorities as new situations present themselves
- Collaborative team player with a strong work ethic that works effectively in cross-functional team environment
Flexible work statement:
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more.
Internal mobility can be a way to grow your career and realize your professional potential. Typically, you must be in your position for at least 18 months and performing satisfactorily before applying for another job at the Firm. Internal applicants can find out more regarding career navigation, mobility guidelines and policy on our employee portal by clicking here.
Equal opportunities statement:
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives, and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing, and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.