Manager, Controlling (MYSG, ASEAN)
- BASF Asia-Pacific Service Centre S/B
- Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
- Competitive compensation plus comprehensive benefits
- 18 Jan 2023
- 18 Feb 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
We are a leading chemical company, with the best teams developing intelligent solutions for our customers, and for a sustainable future
We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to progress.
Not only your performance but also your personality matter to us, regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, orientation, and background. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
BASF has been operating in Malaysia for more than 30 years, through a number of wholly-owned companies and joint ventures in the country. BASF (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd was incorporated in 1989, and operates main office in Bandar Utama and a manufacturing plant in Pasir Gudang in Johor, as well as an operational site in Kulim, Kedah. BASF Asia-Pacific Service Centre Sdn Bhd began its operation in 2005. Located in Kuala Lumpur, the Shared Services Center provides functional services in the areas of finance, controlling, information services, human resources, environment, health & safety, procurement and import-export order management to BASF Group companies in 19 markets across Asia Pacific. BASF Services (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, established in 1997, provides infrastructure and utilities support services to BASF sites in Malaysia. BASF holds 60% of its joint venture BASF PETRONAS Chemicals Sdn Bhd, which operates a state-of-the-art Verbund production site in the Gebeng Industrial Zone, Pahang, and 50% of Toray BASF PBT Resin Sdn Bhd. BASF posted sales to customers in Malaysia of approximately €390 million in 2021 and had 2,295 employees as of the end of the year. Further information is available on www.basf.com/my.
Objectives of the position
- This position is required to guide, challenge, and advise the organization towards economical decision-making and value generation. Enforce compliance with financial policies and procedures. To facilitate the site management in steering the business and evaluating the costs in the company.
- To supervise business planning of merchandised inventory and OMP operations in alignment with regional Supply Chain Management; segments sales in product portfolio distinguishing, as well as OMP’s strategic procurement under alignment with regional product management team.
PM Controlling Role, Malaysia
- Prepare Business Reports (Site Management inclusive) and maintain BASF Applications:
- Reports prepared punctually and accurately
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs):
- Product Costing report
Sales Performance Overview:
- Role as variant BASF application gate keeper on site, e.g. ICM (Contract Management Database), COINS (Cost Consolidated Reporting and Analysis), I-Comp (ICTP), MARIS, Ocean, CARAT, SCII, etc.
Support Site CAPEX (Small Investment or potential regional/global project):
- Manage annual Small Investment Planning
- Manage potential regional or global project(s) planning taking place under PM in Malaysia, in alignment with regional / global counterparts
- Analyze Small Investment cost development, number of CAPEX and make sure budget under control.
- Work closely with C&FT team in GB in ensuring current material cost applied in the MITI application for duty exemption is up to date and accurately reflect the current cost scenario
- Monitor costed duty input in the imported Raw material PO to ensure accurate cost reported in COBUS
- Deliver relevant training, build up site team knowledge on Finance.
Supervise BU/FU/Company Operational Planning, Business Analysis:
- Manage OMP operational planning process, cost budget and production planning in alignment with the region
- Ensure that standard costing are done in compliance with BASF accounting guidelines
- Definition, target setting and monitoring of KPIs in the site organization
- Monthly report fixed cost, variable cost and cost of sales comparison BGT/ACT/FC and information to management
- Monitor and report operation result of Manufacturing, Maintenance, Infrastructures, WWTP & utilities.
- Support various stock taking in the site organization
- Set up company level VBM and KPI and work with plant managers on constant improvement in plant costs
- Supervise business planning role in merchandised business inventory level establishment, sales forecast with sales team, and define the product portfolio created among segments sales
- Monthly monitoring to ensure performance under control.
Responsible for OMP Manufacturing cost and allocation key analysis:
- Monitor Process Order settlement rate and close the order in urgent case.
- Monitor/analyze company manufacturing cost development (e.g. utilities, infrastructure, waste water, indirect service charge, direct cost, etc.).
- Monitoring BOM, Recipes, Business Process to make sure Process order properly operated
- Cross BU/plant cost allocation agreement for shared costs (idle cost, cost difference, etc.)
- Monitor material price (e.g. PUP price, standard price, make investigation on significant price fluctuation, etc.)
- Check SAP cost estimate before month end costing run.
- Site all cost centre gate keeper including cost set up and allocation key update.
- Support OpEx (Operational Excellence Measures) by validating and challenging benefits provided by site managers for OpEx
- Coordinate both internal and external audits (e.g. CEQ, Project audit A/W, operation audit, FRC audit, KPMG, FX, Tax, Customs, Supplier auditor, including follow up case)
- Advises Site colleagues on compliance matters
Teamwork and Interface Management:
- Teamwork with other related teams; i.e. GB team, SCM team, site management team and sales team.
- To execute as LBM representative on assignments to ensure alignment among regional and local stakeholders to fulfil business objectives
Business Support Controlling Role, ASEAN
- Perform monthly/quarterly KPI tracking as well as reporting and forecasting of P&L by SBU results, Forecasting processes to be conducted with alignment to demand & supply forecast
- Conduct monthly analysis of actual and forecasted financial performance against prior forecast, prior year actuals and budget. Analysis of price, volume and FX impacts, highlight gaps and derive recommendations for countermeasures
- Monitor ageing of receivables and highlight/remind country LBMs/ sales lead to follow up action and engage country GB team if necessary.
- Acting as interface between local Finance / Tax /BASC /Plant and Sales / Marketing team to support business development
- Perform yearly operation planning for responsible sites, and track fixed cost development monthly, actively highlighting to LBM deviations and work with stakeholders to keep costs in check
- Check cost actual booking monthly to make sure posting accuracy
- Conduct cost charge in NTP to make sure cost fairly allocation in respect of RBU costs / R&D costs / Selling costs
- Manage contracts in sites in accordance with RBU contract procedure in ICM system
- Maintain A-PMA commercial cost center in sites including setting allocation key and cycle for monthly closing, and employee signing matrix
- Monitor and reporting monthly capital expenditure and ensure completed projects are close and move to Fixed Asset Module
- Constantly seek improvement in processes in order to increase efficiency and effectiveness
Other role, A-PMA
- Digitalization projects key person for A-PMA
- Interfacing with stake holders in the design and efficiency, report quality and effectiveness in the new digitalize processes
- Conducts regular training to A-PMA controlling, with the aim of enhancing understanding and greater participation
- Be a back-up for other ASEAN PM site controllers for some selected main tasks
- Deep knowledge of product costing, requiring good communication skills with operational plant colleagues
- Support of ASEAN business, requiring diverse skills to interact with various country LBMs in ASEAN
- To have a regional mind set and acquiring a deep PM product value chain knowledge where it is being applied in COBUS
- Interfaces with both OD and A-PMA/OC community on COBUS topics
Frequent Cooperation within BASF Group
- Local Company Management, local business and functional team
- Regional & Operating Division Controlling, LBM and RBUs
- Relevant Departments in BASF SE e.g. CFP
- BASC Team
- Internal Auditors
- Bachelor Degree, major in Economics or Chemistry
- More than 3 years of working experience in International manufacturing company, with major CAPEX investments experience
- Business knowledge in cost accounting, multi Business Unit experience preferred, open-minded person, has to communicate with production/ business colleagues actively.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.
Candidates must be resident in Malaysia, or have the right to work in Malaysia.