Trainee Business Adviser
- BDO UK
- Baker Street - London
- Competitive salary
- 09 Jan 2023
- 09 Feb 2023
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Audit, Bookkeeper, Tax, Trainee accountant
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
- Part qualified
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions entrepreneurial organisations need to navigate today’s changing world.
We work with the companies that are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and directly advise the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
Leading organisations trust us because of the quality of our advice. That quality grows from a thorough understanding of their business, and that understanding comes from working closely with them and building long-lasting relationships.
You’ll be someone who is both comfortable working proactively and managing your own tasks, as well as confident collaborating with others and communicating regularly with senior managers, directors, and BDO’s partners to help businesses effectively. You’ll be encouraged to identify and draw attention to opportunities for enhancing our delivery and providing additional services to organisations we work with.
- Deal with bookkeeping including preparing, processing and recording bank transactions, processing purchase, sales and general ledger entries for a wide variety of clients on a number of accounting packages, including the group’s larger more complex clients.
- Prepare monthly annual management accounts and VAT returns with little supervision.
- Maintain and build relationships with clients and ensure that all communications are conducted in a professional manner.
- Build trust and connect with clients and targets by listening and showing empathy and patience.
- Demonstrate a sound awareness of how businesses operate, the commercial environment and its impact on the client’s business.
- Train junior members on accounts software and other processes critical to their current or future work.
- Analyse data and offer explanations and solutions where information is not captured efficiently, or where financial performance is not in line with budgets or business plan.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer every colleague the opportunity to work in ways that suit you, your teams, and the task at hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re looking for someone with:
- AAT qualified and either looking to pursue further qualifications (ACA/ACCA) or in the early stages of study.
- Proven experience of management accounts preparation.
- Good VAT knowledge (including VAT return preparation experience) and a sound understanding of the basics of Corporate tax.
- Experience of statutory audit file preparation and liaison with audit teams (preferable not essential).
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Excel and Office and use of all standard in house packages.
- Solid bookkeeping skills and good working knowledge of cloud accounting software.
- Basic knowledge of the rules and regulations of doing business in the UK including reporting and tax requirements.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for the companies we work with and satisfying experiences for our colleagues, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in you. Across the UK thousands of unique minds continue to come together to help companies we work with to achieve their ambitions
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.