Graduate Trainee Auditor
Join Audit Scotland as a Graduate Trainee Auditor in 2023
Join us and you’ll:
- Help audit over £40 billion of public money
- Help improve public services you, your family and friends use
- Get full sponsorship to become a qualified Chartered Accountant with ICAS
- Receive a starting salary of £26,867 per annum and bonus potential with the potential to earn up to £32,503 per annum as you progress through the ICAS qualification
- Have fantastic job opportunities when you qualify
Who are we?
We are Audit Scotland. We're Scotland’s public sector auditor, independent of government. We employ more than 340 talented professionals who know that their work helps ensure the efficient delivery of public services in Scotland. We believe that public money (around £57 billion a year) should be spent wisely.
There's plenty of change ahead, and the need for robust public audit that provides assurance about public spending and helps public services improve is more important than ever. We want to make sure Scotland makes the very best of the opportunities and that change is delivered well – transparent financial reporting and delivering value for money are key to this.
We currently have opportunities available across Scotland with our offices based in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. We also have a small team based in Aberdeen. We offer a flexible working environment of home and office working as well as some travel to client sites.
Why join our team?
We are proud to be named one of the top 40 workplaces in Scotland and the UK’s eighth best accountancy workplace in the 2022 Best Companies awards. Our people are vital to our continued success and as a Trainee Auditor, you will help contribute to delivering quality and relevant audit work across a variety of clients and, in doing so, you will add real value to the development and scoping of audit plans.
Our Graduate Trainee Scheme includes full sponsorship to become a qualified Chartered Accountant with ICAS. You will get a prestigious, internationally recognised qualification, whilst being involved in varied and interesting work, auditing public bodies in Scotland. You will also be supported to complete a personal development programme aimed at enhancing your career prospects in Audit Scotland.
And it doesn’t stop there, we offer a range of other fantastic benefits including:
- Competitive starting salary, plus bonuses for passing exams first time and salary increments
- 38 days holiday (inclusive of 8 floating public holidays), 4 fixed public holidays, flexi-time and exam leave
- Career development and training opportunities
- Attractive local government pension scheme (19.4% employer contributions)
- Access to counselling and an annual wellbeing and lifestyle medical check-up
- Discounts from major retailers with our innovative savings
- Interest-free loans for annual season tickets
More about you
You don’t need to be an accountancy graduate or have achieved a specific grade in your honours degree to join us. Our trainees come from a variety of backgrounds and have studied a range of degree subjects. Our trainees join us straight from university or later in their careers.
What matters is that you’ve got great analytical and people skills, are committed to studying for a professional qualification, and excel in a challenging and rewarding role.
If you think this sounds like the career for you, then we would love to hear from you. You will need the following skills and qualifications:
- Achieved or be on track to achieve an honours degree or above in any subject.
- Strong numerical skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work as part of a team and independently using initiative
- An interest in Audit Scotland and/or the public sector as well as the auditing and accountancy profession
- Experience of Microsoft Office packages
- Sound analytical skills for gathering, interpreting and evaluating data
- Disciplined and organised with good project management skills
Closing date for applications is 29 January 2023
Interested? Next steps
We’re keeping this nice and simple – visit our careers website or graduate page, click the apply button and complete the application form with examples of previous experience.
After the application closing date, you will be asked to complete a short online verbal and numerical test. If you are successful after this stage, you will be invited to attend an assessment centre. Candidates successful at assessment centre will be invited to a final stage interview. The interview will be competency based and we will be looking for you to demonstrate evidence of the competencies required for the role. Exact details will be confirmed nearer the time; however, the assessment centre and interview are expected to take place in March 2023.
The start date for this vacancy will be June or October 2023.
Check out the Graduate page on our careers site to find out more about our trainee programme, life at Audit Scotland and some useful hints and tips on the application process. Please note that only applications submitted via our careers website will be considered.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value the unique perspective a diverse workforce brings to what we do. Therefore, we’re keen to increase representation in our workforce and support progression of minority ethnic groups. We are also a proud disability confident employer.