Business Services and Outsourcing - Assistant Manager
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Are you looking to further your career in accountancy? We are looking for an experienced manager who can demonstrate an enthusiasm for working in the world of accounting and finance. We are looking for candidates whose strengths are aligned to: Business Thinking, Collaborating, Innovation and Change, Communicating, Developing Self and others, and Decision Making.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realize your aspirations. You have a voice and your opinion counts. We give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel, progress and share in our success. We are clear on what we expect from you and what you can expect in return.
BDO’s Bristol Service Charge team is part of the wider Business Services and Outsourcing stream focusing on real estate clients and is a centre of excellence for independent reviews of service charges. We are expecting large growth over the coming years to add to our breadth of existing clients. We require an assistant manager to help us deliver exceptional client service to our expanding client base.
We’ll help you succeed
The manager will have responsibility for the delivery of high-quality independent reviews of annual service charge expenditure for a specific client. They will manage a dedicated team and supervise the process to ensure that our work is efficient, completed within the KPI’s, and our offering is tailor-made to suit the client’s needs. The manager will be a point of escalation both internally and for the client and will confidently deal with difficult situations. They will report into the Director and Partner team, providing and implementing solutions where required. The manager will be actively involved in business development, and should actively seek opportunities to grow the business.
- Managing the project for a specific service charge client, which includes:
- determining resource requirements
- monitoring progress against KPI’s and project plans
- budget setting and reviewing performance monthly
- resolving all project issues prior to Director and Partner review
- Managing multiple deadlines, demonstrating flexibility, and prioritising tasks to ensure client deadlines are met on high volume assignments
- Exercising sound judgement and professional scepticism in reviewing service charge expenditure, assuming responsibility for all aspects of file completion
- Reviewing the work of junior team members and providing feedback
- Managing the overall dedicated team on a day-to-day basis
- Acting as a major point of contact for the client together with the Director / Partner. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients
- Leading client meetings
- Building strong and sustainable client relationships, especially at senior management level
- Developing a strong commercial understanding of the clients’ business
- Capturing client feedback and ensuring it is addressed and effectively communicated to the delivery team
- Overseeing financial management of the project, including monitoring billing, reviewing performance against budget, performing monthly write-offs and revenue releases
- Ensuring that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to and high quality documents are delivered
- Keeping up to date with industry developments including technical guidance
- Sharing knowledge within the team and facilitating research and personal development
- Bringing new project and business opportunities to the attention of Senior Management
- Acting as an ambassador of the firm, participating in marketing events, keeping abreast of the wide range of services the firm offers and suggesting innovative products and services
- Having a good understanding of the BSO/SCA strategy, both long and short term, and cascading this within the team
- Being proactive in driving forward business development
- Participating in recruitment activities
- Supervising, coaching, motivating and developing junior members of the team
- Delegating work appropriately within the team
- Being a counselling manager
- Leading transitions and client take-on where appropriate
- Working as a key part of the management team with other BSO managers
- Involvement in department meetings and act as chair of some meetings
- ACA, ACCA or equivalent qualification
- Experience working in an accountancy practice or other financial environment
- Experience managing junior staff
- Ability to think on your feet
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Experience providing assurance services desirable but not essential
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.