Head of Finance Systems & Data
- Companies House
- Cardiff (Caerdydd) (GB)
- £50,122 to £57,798
- 26 Nov 2022
- 26 Dec 2022
- Approved employers
- Approved employer
- Job role
- Finance director
- Public sector
- Contract type
- Full time
- Experience level
Companies House is an award-winning employer, with an Investors in People Gold Award, we are at the fore front in ensuring our staff reach their full potential in building brilliant services on cutting edge technology. You’ll join our Finance Systems and Data function at a time of transformation, and you will take a leading role in shaping the future of the department.
Inclusive and diverse teams are important to us. Wherever we can, we provide opportunities to work part-time, job-share or look for smarter ways of working. We'll support you to meet other commitments and help you find a better work-life balance. We’re keen to create an environment that works for everyone.
The purpose of the role is to lead the Finance Systems and Data function (“FSS”) at Companies House (”CH”). The role leads the provision of the Intelligent Customer Function for Finance Systems and Finance Data for the Finance and Commercial Directorate at Companies House. The role is key to developing automated and digital Finance processes, and delivers across Finance Systems, Finance Data and Finance automation.
The Finance Systems and Data function has responsibility for managing all CH Finance Systems platforms, including the Accounting System, is accountable to improve the quality of the provision of finance data, and work with Finance colleagues to develop automated generation of data sets, and to deliver automated methodology to deliver Finance processes. The role is a key contributor to the Continuous Improvement mechanism in place at Companies House Finance Directorate.
The role also contributes to managing the relationship between Companies House Finance and Companies House Digital and Data functions and represents Finance Directorate on Companies House Data and Digital initiatives.
The role contributes to assure relevant Finance System Governance and adherence to all applicable Government Functional Standards.
This role is based at our main Cardiff office, and you will be expected to attend the Cardiff site at least once a week and when required to allow ongoing support and development and to allow you to collaborate with your colleagues.
With 4 direct reports the role is:
- Accountable for delivery of all operational aspects of the Finance Systems i.e., upgrade, maintenance, support, application development and training to internal stakeholders
- Provide leadership to the FSS function, support the team to develop and improve team skills
- Work to ensure the data quality and data integrity of Finance data, develop data insights and information to support and drive business performance
- Develop centre of excellence for Finance automation tools and techniques, e.g., Alteryx
- To manage the use of existing software technologies such as Analytic Process Automation tools e.g., Alteryx and to contribute to reduce complexity across all Finance processes, and to forward look the future finance business solutions to further automate and make digital all Finance processes.
- Determine and build the principles and strategic roadmap for CH Finance systems and data function.
- Understand current software markets and in parallel understand the business objectives to assess what will provide value for money for internal customers.
- Ensure Finance touchpoints are reflected in data and process projects across the organisation at Companies House
- Be the project sponsor for assigned Finance Systems and Data function (FSS) projects
- Work with Senior Management to manage the relationship between key Stakeholders including CH Strategic Finance, CH Digital and Data teams, and be involved in the CH technical community.
- Ensure adherence to applicable functional standards and be responsible for risk management and assurance for the Finance Systems and Data function
- With support of Commercial colleagues, manage the relationship with all finance systems suppliers.
- Be responsible for the finance systems and data function budget.
- A qualified accountant (CA,ACA,ACCA,CIMA)
- Practical working knowledge of Automation tools e.g., Alteryx and Finance Systems and eagerness to influence how digital services are delivered
- Understand importance of Finance data quality, and how Finance Data aids decision making
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to network and build relationships at all levels, and to lead decision making
- Have customer service empathy and focus, and strong organisational and people management skills.
- A qualified accountant (CA,ACA,ACCA,CIMA)
- Experience gained in a Finance position in a Finance section, either in private or public or in Audit and Assurance Services.
- Have experience or qualification in Continuous Improvement techniques.
Companies House offers a flexible and welcoming culture that promotes a healthy work life balance as well as a proactive approach to wellbeing that allows us to be our best at work.
The team you will be leading are friendly, passionate, and experienced individuals who work collaboratively together to ensure they are providing an excellent service across the whole of Companies House.
At Companies House we recognise that people are the key to our success so offer a fantastic benefits package including flexible working with no core hours, 30 Days Annual Leave, 8 Bank Holidays and 1 Privilege Day as well as enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme with a contribution rate averaging 27%.