Why choose us?
Choosing to work for SMS means choosing to make a difference. We are changing how businesses and consumers use energy for the better, helping achieve a greener, sustainable, and more affordable energy system for everyone. Through our range of innovative energy solutions, we are delivering the future of smart energy – working closely with private and public sector partners we are playing a critical role in transforming and decarbonising the UK economy by 2050.
What's in it for you?
- 25 personal holiday days per year (with additional 8 public holidays) increasing to 30 personal days after 5 years of service (includes options to buy and sell)
- Hybrid working options.
- Enhanced Maternity and Adoption leave.
- 24/7 free and confidential employee assistance service.
- Medicash health plan offers a wide variety of benefits from cashback on everyday healthcare treatments like optical, dental and physio treatments. Discounted gym memberships and free 24/7 online GP.
- Share Incentive Plan.
- Life Insurance (4 x annual salary)
- Pension matching scheme (upto 5% of salary)
- Developing our people is important to us - we support and encourage development by offering internal and external accredited courses, secondments and study support.
What's the role?
As Management Accountant, you will be reporting to the Senior Finance Manager, and be part of a growing finance team. The team manages the finance and reporting function for approximately 20,000 electric and gas supplies across a number of well-known high street brands. Overall, you will help to provide accounting support within the Finance team to produce, deliver and continuously improve the management accounts.
You will be responsible for a wide range of tasks, key activities include;
- Production of monthly management accounts including variance analysis and commentary
- Preparation of financial schedules and accruals journals
- Development of financial reporting and identification of improvements
- Financial analysis for both external and internal stakeholders
- Provision of accounting support within the team to produce accurate and complete financial information
- Responsible for maintaining the financial books and records
- Perform sales and purchase invoicing
- Responsible for the preparation of management accounts in line with the relevant accounting policies
- Month end prepayment and accrual calculations
- Preparing journals for review
- Preparation and assistance with supporting schedules
- Completion of reporting packs for review by Senior Finance Manager
- Support in the identification, development and delivery of process and reporting improvements, including efficiency savings
- Responsible for the production of balance sheet reconciliations and investigations into variances
- Undertake financial analysis and production of supporting financial and non-financial reports
- Assist with both internal and external audits as required
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Essential - Part or Fully Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel
- Experience in managing large volumes of data
- Good numerical ability with an attention to detail
- Able to organise and prioritise work to meet deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with internal stakeholders
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work autonomously and manage a busy and varied workload
- Knowledge of utility industry would be an advantage