ACCA Finance Apprentice – Accounts Payable
This is a training post designed to give an apprentice the opportunity to develop their financial accounting skillset, whilst simultaneously studying for their professional accountancy qualifications in the apprenticeship programme. The programme involves both practical, on the job training and off the job training via an apprenticeship training provider. It is based within the Finance team in the London Office. This team supports the global organisation in finance operations. The role requires provide excellent customer service to both internal and external stakeholders.
The programme requires the post holder to diligently undertake the apprenticeship training programme as set out in the WaterAid apprenticeship agreement and the agreement with the Finance Training Provider. This will enable the apprentice to understand and assist in the operation of an effective finance function by carrying out tasks in an accurate and timely manner, in line with policies and procedures.
In line with the learning and training programme to additional responsibilities include:
- To perform tasks and other reconciliation activities, as detailed in the scope and dimensions below, to the highest standard of accuracy and within agreed timescales to ensure the efficient and effective processing of finance information.
- To complete tasks to ensure information within the accounting system is complete and accurate.
- To perform tasks in accordance with the organisation’s UK finance policies and procedures in order to maintain a strong system of internal control.
- To contribute to the development and improvement of processes and procedures as tasks are undertaken; suggesting effective solutions to issues as they arise.
- To store, retrieve and archive information in line with departmental procedures to ensure that information is accessible for other staff.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the finance team and other stakeholders to ensure an integrated approach, mutual learning and effective use of resources.
Scope and Responsibilities
- Scan and load all invoices into Basware P2P via cloudscan.
- Sample check invoices for completeness once they have been returned coded and signed by the budget holder.
- Coding expenditure invoices into purchase ledger and sending invoices to budget holders for approval.
- Maintain the supplier Masterfile.
- Raise same day (emergency) payments on Sun for approval and release by authorisers.
- Updating invoices in the purchase ledger once they have been returned coded and signed by the budget holder, ensuring that expenditure has complied with WaterAid policies and procedures.
- Reconciling supplier invoices per Sun accounts to supplier statements, investigating differences where appropriate.
- Processing of staff expense and Barclaycard expense claims, ensuring claims are compliant with WaterAid policies and procedures.
- Managing Accounts Payable tickets to agreed service standards.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the finance team and other stakeholders to ensure an integrated approach, mutual learning and effective use of resources. The main stakeholders are:
- Budget holders and staff relating to invoices and expenses
- UK and International Finance team
- Barclays bank (client services team)
- Foreign currency cash service agents
- International payment platforms (INTL, Barclays, Standard Chartered, 360T, Standard Bank et al)
- Basware account management
- Managing the issuing of staff advances, in appropriate currency, diem claims and petty cash and ensuring Sun records are accurately recorded.
- Monthly bank reconciliations, comparing the balance per bank statement to the bank balance per the accounting system, and investigating difference when necessary.
- Reconciling intercompany accounts between the UK and country programme offices. Posting expenditure transactions on behalf of country programmes and sending transaction reports for their information.
- Any other tasks as required by the Finance Assurance Manager.