Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Our Advisory team provide a wide variety of services that deliver value-led advice and outcomes. They have an in-depth knowledge of business, industry sectors and markets and understand the constantly changing risks and opportunities at the heart of our clients’ affairs. The team work across strategy, operations and improvement as well as at a transactional and defined project level. From technology to risk advisory, they’re experts in following through on top-level instructions and resolving the finer details – all in one straight-forward package. When you join them, you’ll work on some of the world's most exciting financial operations and business deals, building your experience and expertise alongside the brightest minds in the industry.
International Institutions and Donor Assurance (IIDA) t works closely with global clients such as UN agencies, the European Commission, Foundations and other Development Agencies, particularly those involved in international development. IIDA provides assurance services, including financial and systems audits, certifications, internal control assessments, technical assistance, and consultancy services to international institutions
We’ll help you succeed
Our clients trust us because of the quality of our advice. That quality grows from a thorough understanding of their business, and that understanding comes from working closely with clients and building long-lasting relationships.
You’ll be someone who can work pro-actively, managing your own tasks, but you’ll also be confident collaborating with others, communicating regularly with senior managers, Directors, and BDO’s Partners to enable us to serve our clients effectively. You’ll be encouraged to identify and draw attention to opportunities for enhancing our delivery and providing additional services to our clients.
As a Director you'll deliver a high quality service to clients, take a leading role in business development activities and be active in the internal development of the department.
- Manage a portfolio of clients, including the day-to-day caseload and resolving client queries without direct supervision from the partners;
- Demonstrate the ability to manage and deliver new and / or complex assignments including designing appropriate responses to non-conventional terms of reference, writing tailored work programmes and designing bespoke reporting formats;
- Demonstrate a detailed knowledge of public sector audit issues and techniques and be able to provide expert guidance in an area of specialism;
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of public sector client structures and the legal and contractual frameworks in which the assignments are performed and be able to provide expert guidance in an area of specialism;
- Maintain a detailed understanding of International Standards on Auditing (ISAs) and be able to provide expert guidance in an area of specialism;
- Provide support to senior managers to ensure they get the most out of their teams;
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the department, and take responsibility for project implementation
- Responsible for financial billing targets, reviewing billing targets, utilisation rates, recovery rates, chargeable hours;
- Agree/negotiate with clients fees per engagement;
- Provide input for policy setting, as well as implement systems and controls for the department;
- Responsible for junior and senior members of staff, on clients matters regarding, all internal/external communications, including written work to ensure they meet the firms professional standards;
- Plan and control the allocation of staff within teams with a view to maximising overall recovery rates and minimising risk;
- Ensure that all members of the team fully understand their roles and any developments that affect them;
- Deal confidently with confrontational situations and support team members when they face such situations;
- Review proposals for specific assignments within a framework contract;
- Lead tender processes reporting to a partner;
- Establish a record of success in winning tenders and build up own client portfolio;
- Build a strong rapport with clients to develop the potential for referrals of work to the firm;
- Identify potential opportunities for obtaining new work. Take action to follow up such opportunities with a partner;
- Develop internal contacts and demonstrate an awareness of the services offered by other departments in the firm;
- Be involved in the interview process for staff in accordance with the firm’s guidelines.
Internal development of IIDA
- Full management of team including training and development, appraisals
- Contribute to office-based training sessions including development of training material;
- Do job appraisals for more junior team members;
- Be a trained appraiser and conduct annual Performance Development Meetings for more junior team members;
- Contribute to the effective management of the staff planner;
- Demonstrate a detailed understanding of the firm’s billing procedures, including charge out rates, budgeting and calculation of recovery rates;
- Take a prime role at least one formal internal responsibility in the following areas: training; recruitment; technical development; business development; IT; social;
- Provide opinions and ideas on the department in a constructive way through feeding back to partners and contributing to group meetings;
- Attend monthly Senior Management Meetings.
- Be aware of and comply with the firm’s policies at all times;
- Record time accurately using the relevant HR systems;
- Attend the firm’s technical training seminars;
- Take on any other duties appropriate to the grade and level of responsibility;
- Be aware of the firm’s risk management and practice assurance procedures and ensure compliance;
- Ensure continuing professional development is kept up to date;
- Identify soft skills requirements in conjunction with your appraising manager/partner and communicate such requirements to the training department.
You'll be someone with
- Professional qualification (ACA / ACCA / CIMA or equivalent);
- commensurate audit experience in practice, preferably including public sector experience;
- Ability to work under pressure with accuracy and focus;
- Highly developed technical and analytical skills;
- Proven business development skills;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills;
- Excellent reporting writing skills;
- A broad range of staff planning and supervision experience;
- Team worker;
- Adaptable and flexible in attitude;
- Public sector knowledge and interest;
- Passionate about international travel;
- Ideally worked for a top 20 firm;
- Willing to travel to international locations for up to a week at a time to attend client / auditee meetings and review work being carried out by assignment teams.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer everyone the opportunity to work in ways that suit them, their teams, and the task in hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.