Associate Accountant, Corporate Tax
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world’s most successful individuals, families and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
This professional will join the Corporate Tax team within the Corporate Controller’s Group.
Under general direction, this professional works to understand and apply processes used by Corporate Tax when completing tasks, including: assisting with the preparation of tax compliance filings for relevant legal entities, as well as, filings related to government required tax accounting disclosures. Additionally, the successful professional identifies and communicates process improvement opportunities to their Manager and will be required to assist with general research and analysis as issues arise.
Position provides a varied and hands-on exposure to many areas of the Corporation’s global tax footprint.
- Training – Eagerness to learn through on the job training and coaching from a Senior Tax Accountant(s) and Tax Manager(s)
- Compliance – Assists in the completion of relevant tax filing obligations, as well as filings related to government required tax accounting disclosures. Assists in the gathering of data necessary for audits by governmental tax units, as well as data used in the tax compliance process. Ability to complete assigned tasks within the designated timeframe with good attention to detail
- Consulting – Stays abreast of tax legislation changes and brings to the attention of the Senior Tax Accountant(s). Performs general research on tax issues as requested by senior members of Corporate Tax
- Communication – Attends meetings with various internal and external partners, and develops working relationships with those partners. Ability to effectively communicate in both written and verbal forms
- Process Improvements – Identifies potential process improvements including automation opportunities, and communicates those improvements to the senior members of Corporate Tax
- Technology – Gains proficiency in the tax technology software. Identifies issues with the software and assists the senior members of Corporate Tax with trouble-shooting
- Self-starter with an ability to self-motivate;
- Strong planning and organisational skills;
- Attention to detail and solid documentation techniques
- Strong analytical and technical accounting skills are required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
- Ability to proactively assess issues, identify solutions and problem solve;
- Ability to adapt and react timely and positively in a changing and dynamic work environment;
- Flexible approach towards changing work methods, deadlines and variable workloads;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines;
- Ability to develop relationships with diverse groups and various levels of financial and operating personnel;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team where the accuracy and timeliness of data are critical.
- Flexibility, multi-tasking, creative thinking, good business judgment skills are required to meet strict deadlines and manage other projects; and
- Proficiency in Word and Excel a plus
- Exposure to tax filing compliance and related concepts acquired through 2-4 years of tax experience in public accounting firm or large corporation. Financial service industry experience is a plus
- Experience performing tax research using various tools
- CPA or CA a plus
- Advanced degree a plus
- Sound business and organizational knowledge with experience and knowledge of ERP accounting software is required. Experience with PeopleSoft General Ledger and/or Hyperion Financial Management is a plus
- Exposure to corporate financial reporting and consolidation
- General Accounting experience (recording journal entries, preparing reconciliations, variance analysis, journal support and maintenance)
- General GAAP and IFRS knowledge
1:00PM - 10:00PM
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, greater achievements await. You will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture in an organization where financial strength and stability is an asset that emboldens us to explore new ideas. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company committed to assisting the communities we serve! Join a workplace with a greater purpose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our HR Service Center at MyHRHelp@ntrs.com.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.