Business Risk Management (Operational Risk), Vice President
Who we are looking for
Candidates will be experienced in sound risk management and governance practices within the Banking and/or Financial Services industry. They will partner across stakeholder groups to enhance risk, control and operational management capabilities, improve the efficacy of the control environment and better respond to regulatory guidance/mandates through the implementation of uniform governance and risk management practices.
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Global Services (SSGS). SSGS gives asset owners and managers access to the essential financial tools they need to deliver effective investment solutions. From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSGS’ tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
As Business Risk Manager you will
- Support efforts to successfully deliver on business/first line of defense (FLOD) risk and control initiatives in accordance with relevant policies and frameworks – through close collaboration with Global Delivery & Institutional Services Senior Management and other regionally based partners where GD&IS business.
- Implement and execute on a robust, industry-standard risk management framework for the activities in the location, in alignment with the methodology and practices employed globally by GDIS BRM.
- Liaise with the First Line of Defense (FLOD) to adopt and implement both compliance and operational and other risk -related controls into critical functions and processes.
Coordinate on the implementation of, and adherence to, policies, procedures and guidelines defined and administered by GDIS BRM and associated partner groups (Business Risk Management Advisory group, Second Line of Defense Compliance and Enterprise Risk Management).
- Develop and maintain a strategic roadmap for the assessment, control and enforcement of risk and control standards across the region, in coordination with the same for the Global Delivery & Institutional Services organization.
- Partner with other relevant corporate functions to ensure effectiveness of controls and transparency of activities, project-related plans, and expectations management.
- Ensure that a structure is in place which incorporates management metrics that will identity risk themes and allow and provide for informed decisions.
- Execute on processes to ensure appropriate analysis of incidents and issues, including root cause and trend analysis.
- Actively liaise/coordinate with BUs, ERM, Compliance, Legal, Internal Audit, and Business Risk Management regarding risk management practices, oversight and reporting
- Support testing methodology for Global Delivery & Institutional Services activities to ensure effectiveness and design of Global Delivery & Institutional Services control environment(s), consistent with global framework for Global Delivery.
- Continuously assess and propose opportunities to enhance risk management processes and controls improvement, and provide guidance to business on design and application of key controls, procedures and best practices.
- Advise the business locally on the implications to operations of regulatory change.
- Ensure appropriate training curriculum for risk and other topics is in place for staff.
- Manage staff for execution, career development, delegation and effective monitoring of activities assigned.
What we value
These skills will help you succeed in this role
- Independent, strategic thinker with an understanding of Regulatory, Market, Operational and Liquidity Risk within banking and/or financial services.
- Financial Services operations experience, and preferably within an associated audit or risk management discipline, with operational process management and/or design experience.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to develop strategy, and coordinate with global organizations.
- Ability to operate strategically and with a global mindset, and establish a long term vision and the steps/timelines needed to achieve that vision.
- Strong organizational awareness with ability to facilitate and resolve conflicts; ability to make informed, risk optimized decisions under time pressure.
- Demonstrated success as a change agent that possesses both superior relationship management and communications/influencing skills across all levels of a global and complex organization; ability to execute on goals and objectives under challenging circumstances.
- Strict attention to detail is required; the successful candidate will demonstrate an aptitude for detailed analysis, trend identification and a propensity to drive issues toward resolution.
- Keen awareness and appreciation for teamwork and collaboration; this role will require the candidate to be adept/effective at interpersonal interactions in order to introduce and influence change within the organization.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills; it is vital that the candidate possess the ability to articulate complex thoughts in a cogent, linear and method-driven manner and to assimilate information for senior executives concisely and appropriately for the situation at hand.
- Controls writing and testing experience, preferred but not required.
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business, Finance or related fields; MBA a plus
- 12 – 15 years of experience in the financial services industry.
About State Street
What we do. State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation, we’re making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we’ve been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients.
Work, Live and Grow. We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary by location, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans, among other perks. You’ll have access to flexible Work Programs to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential.
Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility. We truly believe our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift programs and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.