Executive Director, Operational Risk - Wealth Management
Are you ready to work in the second line of defense for the top global wealth manager? Can you build relationships and influence outcomes, as well as develop and implement innovative solutions? On the Operational Risk Control team at UBS Global Wealth Management (GWM) you'll be responsible for working with our business to identify and mitigate potential risks.
Operational Risk Officers are the liaisons between the first line of defence (1LOD) Operational Risk Management (ORM) and the entire enterprise. Serving as both an effective challenger and a trusted advisor, Operational Risk Officers are integrated into multiple dimensions of first line risk-taking activities. As an Operational Risk Officer supporting our Global Wealth Management business in the Americas, your role will require excellent communication and interpersonal skills, superb integrative thinking across all facets of operational risk, and a desire to help the enterprise properly manage operational risk.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
• collaborate with other support functions to provide challenge to the 1LOD's risk-taking, mitigating, and remediation efforts (i.e. risk and control assessments, operational risk issues and events)
• work across the multiple dimensions of operational risk programs within Global Wealth Management (GWM) globally and cross divisionally, and understand how they impact GWM Americas and support execution of deliverables
• evaluate the control framework for new and changing business initiatives and provide consultation
• challenge the governance and controls associated with the product-centric areas of Investment Advisory, Capital Markets and Banking products distributed through the wealth management channel
• evaluate the operational risk profile and risk analysis for the business, culminating in periodic reporting to functional and business management and influencing 1LOD on identification, management and mitigation of non-financial risks
Compliance and Operational Risk (C&ORC) is part of the Group Compliance, Regulatory & Governance (GCRG) function. The GCRG function is the center for compliance and operational risk control, governmental and regulatory affairs as well as investigations and governance matters. We aim to ensure that all compliance, conduct and operational risks are understood, owned and managed to our risk appetite. We are responsible for providing independent oversight and control over the compliance and operational risks arising from our business activities at a global, regional, divisional and entity level.
You'll work in the Americas C&ORC team in Weehawken, NJ reporting to the Head of Global Wealth Management (GWM) Americas Operational Risk Control (ORC). We are a diverse team of professionals, with oversight responsibility for managing the compliance and operational risks arising from our business in the Americas.
Diversity helps us grow, together. That's why we are committed to fostering and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion. It strengthens our business and brings value to our clients.
• a Bachelor's degree (or international equivalent) in a relevant area of study required, advanced degree (e.g., MBA, MA) is a plus
• ideally 10+ years of prior operational risk experience with a financial institution - particularly wealth management - or at a regulatory agency or major consulting firm
• proven experience of leadership, both in terms of people as well as projects and initiatives, sound strategic, judgement and integrative thinking skills, deep risk management and risk assessment knowledge as well as clear organizational, communication and influencing skills
• significant experience with US regulations and a thorough understanding of the legal and regulatory expectations / requirements related to financial services operational risk management
• experience with investment advisory products and services is preferred (e.g., managed programs) and broad knowledge of various financial products (e.g., the capital markets and trading, banking products)
• structured, rigorous, investigative and thorough with the ability to form defensible conclusions from risk assessments having sound judgement and ability to articulate views, assessments and approaches both verbally and in writing precisely, concisely, logically and accurately including with visuals where required
• team-oriented, able to calmly manage conflict and pressure in a demanding, high-volume environment and able to be flexible and capable of prioritizing based on changing internal or external demands
UBS is the world's largest and only truly global wealth manager. We operate through four business divisions: Global Wealth Management, Personal & Corporate Banking, Asset Management and the Investment Bank. Our global reach and the breadth of our expertise set us apart from our competitors.
With more than 70,000 employees, we have a presence in all major financial centers in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
At UBS, we embrace flexible ways of working when the role permits. We offer different working arrangements like part-time, job-sharing and hybrid (office and home) working. Our purpose-led culture and global infrastructure help us connect, collaborate, and work together in agile ways to meet all our business needs.
From gaining new experiences in different roles to acquiring fresh knowledge and skills, we know that great work is never done alone. We know that it's our people, with their unique backgrounds, skills, experience levels and interests, who drive our ongoing success. Together we're more than ourselves. Ready to be part of #teamUBS and make an impact?
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
UBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.