Trainee Management Account (Practice)
Associate – London About flinder
We build and run smart finance functions for fast-growth and complex businesses.
Our mission is to deliver relevant insight that enables better business decisions.
Our vision is to transform and lead how finance delivers deep business insights to key decision-makers.
This is how we’re different
Fast-growth business leaders need responsive reporting and relevant insight now, not tomorrow. So, we use technology to simplify complex data and deliver relevant insight.
At flinder, we up the ante; we want to transform the way in which finance delivers deep business insight to key decision makers.
We support clients through the scale and funding journey. We cut through the fluff. We deliver meaningful insight. We get them ready for funding. We support them on the Board. With our help, they have the insight and evidence to tell a great story about their business to instil investors’ confidence. With our support, they continue to grow. Fast.
Most of our clients are fast-growth, typically equity-backed, businesses predominantly in London. But, we also work with businesses all over the world; for example Australia and North America on data analytics projects.
ENTREPRENEURS AT HEART
Creators. Leaders. Self-starters. We’re a fast-growth company that likes to challenge convention. We’re always thinking and looking ahead.
We’re interested in our clients. We take the time to get to know what makes their business tick. Yes, we deliver on business, data and finance challenges, but it’s always
strategic, insightful and relevant.
A BS-FREE ZONE
We’re true to ourselves, and we’re straight with our clients. So, if we think something is the right thing for our client’s business, we’ll say it even if it’s not what they want to hear.
We don’t settle. We’re always looking for a better way. We’re relentless when it comes to delivering the highest standards and getting the best outcome for clients.
As an accounting apprentice, you will be supporting our finance team delivering our services to a portfolio of diverse clients predominantly in the London and South East region. You will gain experience in transactional processing, a number of different cloud based accounting systems, VAT returns, period end procedures, preparing year-end financial statements and working with data in various forms. You will also gain an appreciation of working to tight timelines and a high quality work ethic with great attention to detail. As part of your apprenticeship you will work towards a professional qualification which will go hand in hand with your day to day role.
What you’ll be doing
- Using cloud accounting systems (Xero, QuickBooks, Sage One/Live) to maintain accurate records for a portfolio of clients
- Performing bank reconciliations, processing receipts and payments
- Preparing VAT returns for a portfolio of clients prior to review
- Preparing suggested payment run files for client approval
- Preparing monthly payroll changes and communicating with our payroll team for a portfolio of clients
- Completing period end close activities including the relevant month end adjustments i.e. prepayments, accruals and journals
- Preparing the monthly accounts including standard reporting from the accounting system • Supporting our finance managers with monthly and quarterly reporting including account closing procedures • Support in consulting-style workshops
- Support with systems implementations
- Ad hoc support for finance managers and business advisors as required
- Liaising with clients and developing strong working relationships
- Providing regular status updates on client deliverables
Who we’re looking for
- Passed some AAT, ACCA or ACA exams and working towards your accountancy qualification
- At least 6 months of relevant finance and accounting experience, preferably in a practice
- Some experience and working knowledge of bookkeeping and finance processes
- An enjoyment of working for different clients whilst understanding and meeting their individual needs
- Experience with cloud accounting systems e.g. Xero, QuickBooks etc.
- Strong computer, data and process skills
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills
- The ability to proactively question everything to improve quality and processes
- £20,000 – £22,000 (experience dependent)
- Discretionary performance related bonus (up to 5%)
- Pension contributions
- Unlimited holidays
- Study package (tuition, study days, first-time pass bonuses) for professional qualification • Fully paid strategy week each year
- Flexible working
- Hybrid working
- Macbook laptop available for business and personal use
- Mobile phone or phone allowance
You will predominantly be based in London and travel to client sites will be required. From time to time you may work from home depending on business and client needs.