Consultant, Financial Reporting
Who we are
Our core principles of service, expertise and integrity have guided us from our start as a Chicago bank in 1889 to our position as a multi-faceted global financial services provider. Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally.
Our focus on employee work/life balance, diversity, career mobility and unique opportunities are among the reasons we’ve been named one of America's Best Large Employers and recognized as an employer of choice around the world.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Seoul, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
The Financial Reporting Consultant supports the Australian Investment Accounting team and is responsible for monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual financial reporting, regulatory reporting and tax reporting to a diverse range of investment manager and superannuation fund clients.
Your day to day tasks will be the preparation and review of financial statements and templates, preparation and review of Trust distributions, Superannuation fund tax provisions, tax returns and BAS returns. You will manage audit queries to resolution and establish a level of client knowledge ensuring all requirements are met and allow the team build the relationship further.
You will report to the Manager of Financial Reporting and Tax.
This role is open to both Melbourne or Sydney location.
What you will do:
- Provide a high level of client service, and be the first point of contact in relation to all accounting and tax queries for an allocation of clients
- Preparation and review of Financial statements and templates
- Proactively seek to identify and improve current core processes and procedures, ensuring they are updated with changes in regulations and industry trends
- Work closely with other teams to achieve client reporting objectives – Unit Pricing, Business Process Analysts, Client Services, Operations and Technology
- Work closely with Financial Reporting and Tax manager on new product developments and process improvement projects
- Help manage new client onboarding process as it relates to Financial reporting and Tax
- Provide oversight of off shore teams’ output and performance
- Assist in the management and development of the Financial Reporting and Tax team
- Ensure sufficient risk management controls are in place and adhered to Northern Trust compliance standards
- Experience working within a Custodian, Superannuation fund, or Investment Manager accounting/tax team
- Technical understanding and practical application of accounting and tax concepts as they relate to Managed Investment Schemes (MIS’s) and Superannuation funds
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of Australian Accounting Standards as they relate to MIS’s and Superannuation funds, and the different assets they invest in
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of Australian Tax rules as they relate to MIS’s and Superannuation funds, and the different assets they invest in, and an understanding of different trust structures and entity types
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of regulatory reporting requirements – APRA, ABS, BAS, PAYG
- Strong excel skills and the proficiency in utilizing Financial statements and tax reporting system tools
- Accounting/Commerce/Finance degree qualified ideally with a CA or CPA
- Relevant experience in a similar role
As of 31 March 2022 Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $15.5 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $12.0 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.5 trillion in assets under management
- $173 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience. Which Is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg, 2022 (5th consecutive year)
- Top ranking of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s, Corporate Equality Index, 2022 (For the 15th consecutive year, Northern Trust has scored 100% and earned the designation as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality”)
In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
- Want to learn more about our company? Visit our website.
- We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.