Graduate Trainee Auditor
Join Audit Scotland as a Graduate Trainee Auditor (2022)
Join us and you'll:
- Help audit over £40 billion of public money
- Help improve public services you, your family and friends use
- Get full sponsorship to become a qualified Chartered Accountant with ICAS
- Receive a starting salary of £24,867 (2022 pay award yet to be agreed) and bonus potential
- Have fantastic job opportunities when you qualify
Who are we?
We are Scotland’s public sector auditor, independent of Government. We audit the financial statements of Local Authorities, Health Boards and central government bodies, and evaluate their performance in delivering services and value for money. We all share a belief that public money should be spent wisely, making the lives of Scotland’s people the very best they can be. It’s important work and you’ll be a valued member of our audit teams.
We employ around 320 exceptional professionals from different backgrounds and you don’t need an Accountancy degree to become an auditor.
We currently have opportunities available across Scotland with our offices based in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Inverness. We also have a small team based in Aberdeen. We offer a flexible working environment of home and office working as well as some travel to client sites.
Why join our team?
We are proud to be named one of the top 40 workplaces in Scotland and the UK’s eighth best accountancy workplace in the 2022 Best Companies awards. Our people are vital to our continued success and as a Trainee Auditor, you will help contribute to delivering quality and relevant audit work across a variety of clients and, in doing so, you will add real value to the development and scoping of audit plans.
Our Graduate Trainee Scheme includes full sponsorship to become a qualified Chartered Accountant with ICAS. You will get a prestigious, internationally recognised qualification, whilst being involved in varied and interesting work, auditing public bodies in Scotland. You will also be supported to complete a personal development programme aimed at enhancing your career prospects in Audit Scotland.
And it doesn’t stop there, we offer a range of other fantastic benefits including:
- Competitive starting salary, plus bonuses for passing exams first time and salary increments
- Mentor support and guidance
- 38 days holiday (inclusive of 8 floating public holidays), 4 fixed public holidays, flexi-time and exam leave
- Career development and training opportunities
- Attractive local government pension scheme (19.4% employer contributions)
More about you
You don’t need to be an accountancy graduate to join us. Our trainees come from a variety of backgrounds and have studied a range of degree subjects. Our trainees join us straight from university or later in their careers.
What matters is that you’ve got great analytical and people skills, are committed to studying for a professional qualification, and excel in a challenging and rewarding role.
If you think this sounds like the career for you, then we would love to hear from you. You will need the following skills and qualifications:
- Educated to degree level with a minimum 2:1 in any subject (or expect to achieve a 2:1 in Summer 2022)
- Strong academic performance in both English and Mathematics
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work as part of a team and independently using initiative
- An interest in Audit Scotland and/or the public sector as well as the Auditing and Accountancy profession
- Experience of Microsoft Office packages
- Sound analytical skills for gathering, interpreting and evaluating data
The successful candidate must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications is 1 September 2022.
Diversity and Inclusion
We value the unique perspective a diverse workforce brings to what we do. Therefore, we’re keen to increase representation in our workforce and support progression of minority ethnic groups. We are also a proud disability confident employer.
Interested? Next steps
We’re keeping this nice and simple - visit our website, click the apply button and complete the application form with examples of previous experience.
After the application closing date, you will be asked to complete a short online numerical test. If you are successful after this stage, you will be invited to attend an assessment centre. Candidates successful at assessment centre will be invited to a final stage interview. The interview will be competency based and we will be looking for you to demonstrate evidence of the competencies required for the role. Exact details will be confirmed nearer the time; however, the assessment centre will take place week commencing 3 October with interviews week commencing 17 October.
The start date for this vacancy will be Autumn 2022.
Please note if you previously applied for our 2022 Graduate Trainee Auditor scheme and were unsuccessful following the assessment centre and/or interview, we are unfortunately unable to accept your application for this recruitment process.
Check out the Graduate page on our careers site to find out more about our trainee programme and life at Audit Scotland. Please note that only applications submitted via our careers website will be considered.