ISG - Vic e President
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm?s employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
- Putting Clients First
- Doing the Right Thing
- Leading with Exceptional Ideas
- Giving Back
- Commit to Diversity and Inclusion
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Internal Audit is responsible for validating whether the firm operates in a controlled environment with appropriate risk management processes. Auditors evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the firm’s internal controls using a risk-based methodology developed from professional auditing standards. Internal Audit assists in monitoring the firm’s compliance with internal guidelines set for risk management and risk monitoring, as well as external rules and regulations governing the industry.
The department reports directly to the Board Audit Committee and helps verify whether the firm meets all of its fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, while adhering to corporate governance standards and legal and regulatory requirements. Internal Audit is comprised of Business and Technology auditors. Business auditors focus on understanding the risks that the businesses face and the controls to mitigate those risks. Technology auditors focus on the application controls supporting the business processes, including systems development, application security and entitlements, production management, and technology governance. Both groups are responsible for understanding, analyzing and testing the controls to protect the franchise.
Background on the Position
Morgan Stanley is seeking a Vice President for its Institutional Securities Group (ISG) audit team. The person in the role will assist the Internal Audit department’s Institutional Securities audit team in completing its annual audit plan, communicating to senior management, and providing recommendations for improvements. The role requires a control minded change agent who readily embraces new ideas, takes the initiative, and seeks to make a meaningful and positive impact on the bank’s control environment. Audited functions including all sales and trading and together with the associated infrastructure support and control groups such as Operations, Risk, Finance, Technology, Compliance.
- Identify and assess areas of critical and high risks and evaluate the soundness of their controls as part of audits, continuous monitoring and closure verification work in order to formulate a point of view of the control environment
- Drive discussions and ask probing questions to senior business stakeholders to understand risk drivers, control state, and impact
- Plan and execute audits, continuous monitoring and closure verification work on sales, trading and support groups on time and within budget. Provide guidance to junior staff as needed.
- Present observations to line management; lead discussions and finalize issues with senior stakeholders
- Plan deliverables with sufficient budget, time and skill sets for successful delivery while proactively monitoring budgets, resources and key metrics
- Create the messaging of risks and controls in the quarterly pack to senior management
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients and related support groups
- Participate in the annual audit planning process
- In-depth understanding of the operation of financial markets, financial instruments and strategies, business drivers specific to the Institutional Securities business, and the associated regulatory environment
- In-depth understanding of financial instruments including equity, fixed income, derivatives, structure products and other financial products and services
- Demonstrate critical thinking, strong risk and control mindset, good project management skill, strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the drive to develop independent viewpoint and innovative ideas
- Experience in auditing capital market related products, trading and lending.
- Communicate with impact, able to state risk and issues concisely and articulate impact in a structured manner both written and verbally
- Knowledge of key regulations to influence audit work and understand the impact to the business line
- Ability to work globally and across teams
- Ability to handle multiple projects while meeting deadlines with minimal supervision
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, resolve challenging issues with innovative ideas, and demonstrate strong analytical skills
Educational & Professional Credentials
- 10-12 years of experience in financial services is essential, with a preference for those with experience of auditing sales and trading activities
- Experience in capital market related products preferred
- University bachelor, post graduate degree or relevant professional qualifications (e.g. CFA, FRM, CPA, CIA etc.)
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.