Senior Tax Analyst
SENIOR TAX ANALYSTNorthern Trust’s Global Client Tax Services offers tax solutions to family offices, family foundations, high-net-worth individuals, private trust companies, non-resident aliens, charitable organizations, institutions, fiduciary income, and private investment companies around the world. Our enterprise-wide global resources and cutting-edge technology power our comprehensive services for family offices, including advice-driven wealth management, investment management, banking and asset administration solutions.
Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Primary Purpose Of Position:
This role is within the Tax Cost team. Tax analyst performs various functions to ensure effective completion of various tax cost updates originating from corporate actions and standard tax reporting events. Tax Cost routinely processes tax cost updates for corporate action events impacting cost basis. This role will support the critical function of the corporate actions’ desk. The Tax Analyst is responsible for processing all forms of corporate events such as mergers, conversions and redemptions. The daily responsibilities also include updating and maintaining tax lot details at the asset level where there is a tax filing requirement. The partner analyzes data to ensure it complies with the IRS cost basis reporting rules. Assists with special projects and responds to internal and external inquiries. In addition to serving an important role within the Tax department, collaborates across teams with key members of the organization to communicate solutions and contribute to projects.
Primary Duties And Accountabilities:
- Understanding of Corporate Action events – such as mergers, spin-offs, and splits
- Able to balance and reconcile large sets of data
- Maintains and processes tax cost information for assigned accounts including but not limited to Federal Estate Tax updates, corporate action events, and new account tax cost setups.
- Maintains tracking logs and other documentation in the Team’s SharePoint site.
- Assists with inquiries and tasks associated with the Team’s shared mailbox.
- Connect with other areas of the bank to gather information for the completion of tax cost updates.
- Participates in assigned special projects.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of applicable tax laws and regulations in relation to cost basis reporting rules.
Knowledge of tax and/or accounting usually acquired through related work experience and/or coursework is needed to make tax cost updates and understand IRS cost basis reporting rules. Analytical, accounting, and computer skills are needed to analyze and process tax cost data. Must be detail oriented with strong analytical and communication skills. Ability to work in a high volume/deadline-oriented environment, strong organizational skills, and the ability to multitask. Must also possess excellent communication, organization, and follow- through abilities.
- Must have Excel experience, specifically comfortable with functions such as VLOOKUPs, HLOOKUPs, Pivot Tables, etc.
- The candidate should show interest in following changes to tax regulations and laws.
- Excellent time management skills are essential, to ensure the team meets tight deadlines.
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.