Senior Manager - Outsourcing - Real Estate & Construction
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
Our clients trust us because of the quality of our advice. That quality grows from a thorough understanding of their business, and that understanding comes from working closely with clients and building long-lasting relationships.
You’ll be someone who can work pro-actively, managing your own tasks, but you’ll also be confident collaborating with others, communicating regularly with senior managers, Directors, and BDO’s Partners to enable us to serve our clients effectively. You’ll be encouraged to identify and draw attention to opportunities for enhancing our delivery and providing additional services to our clients.
Based in our Baker Street office, you will be responsible for providing leadership to the team, managing a portfolio of clients and supporting Directors and Partners. This includes planning, monitoring, reviewing work of junior members and taking responsibility for business development and marketing initiatives. You’ll also:
- Manage and prepare more complex client assignments, identifying issues and suggesting solutions
- Review regular management accounts for our client base and reporting to clients
- Review VAT returns for clients prepared by junior members of the team
- Review financial statements and compare treatments under alternate GAAPS
- Ensure each client’s company accounts are filed with the statutory timelines
- Take responsibility for technical matters and resolve any problems which may arise
- Manage the overall team on a day-to-day basis
- Has good, and up to date, technical knowledge so is able teach and mentor staff.
- Reviews work prepared by junior staff and conveys salient points from the work papers and annual compliance reports for discussion with the client.
- Has in-depth knowledge of how finance and accounting functions, supporting technology and tax considerations can differ by industry and business structure; knows what is required from a compliance perspective and what is considered a standard or best practice.
- Periodically reviews solutions for clients to determine if they are still appropriate for the current state of their business.
- Uses knowledge to analyse the current business processes of a client and identify inefficiencies, improvements to their accounting system and where we can add value.
- Understands how to interpret trends in financial and non-financial KPIs in terms of business drivers, and explains issues to clients in a way that is easy to understand.
- Understands what financial information clients value for management/decision making and why. Able to have advice based conversations with clients to help them navigate business decisions and teams should the need arise.
- Offers ideas from previous experience or other organisations to improve management reports.
And commercial responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of clients from a wide range of industries
- Manage budgets for client work and have a thorough understanding of the firms billing procedures, including charge out rates, budgeting and calculation of recovery rates
- Prepare own immediate work schedules and plans/develop daily work plans
- Facilitate effective meetings with clients, using open ended questions to identify the clients target aspirations and objectives
- Collaborate with clients and targets to craft compelling and integrated solutions- connecting our services to their needs, and communicating proposals to clients in a way that is easy to understand and identifies the values the client will be receiving.
- Guide and instruct clients around the regulations of doing business in the UK in a simple but informative way
- Have full awareness of the services offered by other departments in the firm and continually look for cross selling opportunities
- Offer ideas from previous experience or other organisations to help clients identify opportunities or threats
- Arrange bookings for undertaking assignments, ensuring that the right level of technically qualified team members are booked onto each assignment for the appropriate time, whilst keeping in mind their technical and career development
- Actively seeks out ways to improve the profitability of engagements
- Ensures work Is delivered to a project plan/work schedule, seeking to resolve delivery issues as they arise, calculating as appropriate
- Complete review of work in a timely manner and provide constructive feedback to help more junior staff develop
- Know the strength and weaknesses of their team members and assign work accordingly, balancing the needs for development and efficiency
- Assist with setting targets and objectives as well as on the job training and coaching
- Act as an ambassador of the firm and actively seek out opportunities
- Actively networks professionally outside of BDO and seizes opportunity for new professional contacts when presented
- Responsible for bringing in new business leads which turn into new jobs for the department
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA or equivalent) or equivalent experience
- Solid accountancy experience required
- Relevant experience, gained in a similar manager role- ideally from practice environment
- Have the ability to advise on and implement financial systems, processes and controls
- Full knowledge of compliance and take on procedures
- Excellent knowledge of business trends in the industry
- Knowledge of the impacts that different client/industries and service offerings have on the technical work and final deliverables
- Up to date technical knowledge, therefore able to teach and mentor staff
- In depth knowledge of financial reporting and accounting functions
- Excellent understanding of ecosystem of cloud accounting software and add-ons and can articulate the purpose and value of appropriate systems to clients
- Understands the rules and regulations of doing business in the UK
- Real Estate and Construction experience preferable but not essential
- Keep up to date with all technical and commercial developments
- Works independently and exercises a degree of judgement and adaptability in own decisions and actions
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Demonstrates excellent analytical and research skills
- Self-motivated and is able to apply relevant skills to new scenarios
- Ability to work under pressure with accuracy and focus
- Coaches team to deliver results
- Excellent client interacting and relationship building skills
- Knows when to delegate and when to take personal responsibility
- Good team member who can encourage and support others at all levels
- Acknowledges and praises people for their effort and achievements
- Seeks regular feedback on own performance and acts on findings
- Sets realistic but stretching performance targets for self and others
- Knows own strengths and limitations
- Undertakes difficult conversations when necessary
- Embraces change with an adaptable and flexible working attitude
- Able to think outside the box and bring prior experience to pragmatically provide solutions for clients.
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer everyone the opportunity to work in ways that suit them, their teams, and the task in hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.