Opportunities in Tax Controversy & Risk Management - Scotland
Would you like the opportunity to work in our leading Tax Controversy and Risk Management Team?
The TCRM team is looking for dynamic, enthusiastic people at all grades to join us to continue to grow our business. Based in any of our offices in Scotland, successful applicants will have the opportunity to work with a wide selection of clients, who have varied and sometimes complex tax situations to address.
Professionals in our award winning team work with clients to help them manage transparency and reporting obligations, including preparing a tax strategy / policy, evaluating how tax risk is managed in the business, supporting businesses to prepare for SAO certification, preparing for a HMRC Business Risk Review and developing testing programmes to ensure controls are operating effectively. By integrating deep technical and industry knowledge with established methodologies, they work with a wide range of businesses and corporates to help them develop and implement effective, practical and sustainable tax strategies.
Our tax controversy and risk management business supports large corporate clients in both building and delivering frameworks for the management of tax. The business is incredibly broad and varied, requiring advisors who can holistically help clients to manage all taxes and support them in building an effective tax control framework.
The team also support businesses in effectively managing enquiries through to a resolution, including the use of Alternative Dispute Resolution and litigation.
Your key responsibilities
- Building an appropriate strategy and managing the communication to the stakeholders
- Formulating and delivering internal policies for the management of the tax function
- Building frameworks to help with the real time identification, management and mitigation of tax risk, including the use of our innovative tools such as EY TRACE
- Building and delivering control testing programmes, including in support of SOX requirements
- Supporting with HMRC requirements and relationship management, including the corporate criminal offence, SAO certification, publication of tax strategy and the Business Risk Review process
- Developing the use of technology and data gathering to increasingly automate and improve the management of risk
- Build and maintain relationships with clients, winning work proactively and contributing to winning new clients
- High level management of the successful delivery of technically complex and demanding consulting projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical / business driven approach taken
- Overall responsibility of quality of client service
- Manage possible leads from other areas of the practice
- Build networks and relationships internally and externally for the team to leverage from
- Help people to develop through effectively supervising, coaching and mentoring staff
- Contribute to people initiatives, including retaining and training international tax professionals
What we are looking for:
- Significant involvement in the management of the team both in terms of strategy and operations and also through managing junior staff development and assignments
- Experienced tax practitioner
- Significant experience in Tax from a large UK based accountancy or law firm or HMRC
- Strong client relationship management skills with ability to develop quality outputs to clients
- Negotiation skills, able to sustain opinion and handle challenges
- Business development skills, able to identify and convert opportunities to sell work
- Effective time management, ability to remain calm when under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent communicator in a range of situations both written and oral
- Enthusiastic team player with ability to create, sustain and lead effective teams
- Experience of coaching and developing more junior staff
- Ensure delivery of quality work and take day to day leadership of delivery team
- ACA/CA/ACCA/CTA; or Tax Inspectors with full Technical Training Course; or Law qualification
- Project management skills, plan and prioritize work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget
- Outgoing with good relationship skills and the ability to deliver quality output
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral
- Change orientated with flexible approach
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you’ll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, expertise and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.