Team Leader, UK Financial Reporting
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust, a Fortune 500 company, is a globally recognized, award-winning financial institution that has been in continuous operation since 1889.
Northern Trust is proud to provide innovative financial services and guidance to the world’s most successful individuals, families and institutions by remaining true to our enduring principles of service, expertise and integrity. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 22,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Has day-to-day management responsibilities for a small team. Responsible for the assignment of work to the Financial Reporting team in the Client Accounting area. Possesses the leadership and organizational skills required to prioritize assignments and provide feedback to staff.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Organizes the work of the team, assigns tasks, sets short-term priorities, monitors all activities and ensures timely and accurate completion of the work
- Conducts performance management and career development processes, and staffing and disciplinary actions
- Provides input and support to budget management process
- Carries out complex activities with significant financial, client, and/or internal business impact
- May have direct interaction with committees and/or Senior Management
- Able to serve as a key subject matter expert and mentor to other more junior level employees
- May manage daily operational activities and supervise day-to-day work of junior level employees (but not a formal management role)
- More technically sound in area of expertise and has broader knowledge of other areas
- Delivers a work product that requires less revision
- Able to facilitate discussions and reach decisions
- Leadership/People Management – inspires and motivates the team. Selects, trains and develops top talent to NOSAI positions
- Focused Client Relationships – strong client servicing mind set and skills
- Personal Courage – Adaptable to change, adopting new processes and seeks continuous development opportunities, shows accountability to ensure team targets are achieved
- Excellence in Execution – Quality & deadline focused, strong organization skills and the ability to prioritize tasks, strong attention to detail
- Diversity, Inclusion & Respect – demonstrates a polite and friendly manner when working with colleagues and clients, works to assist others in a courteous manner
- Innovative Thinking – ability to identify and communicate ways to improve processes, services and drive productivity
- Effective Communication – communicates effectively (verbal and written) up to senior levels
- Northern Trust Savvy – Demonstrates good knowledge of Northern Trust and builds knowledge of function (post joining) including standard, processes/procedures required for tasks and has the ability to impart this knowledge effectively with more junior staff members
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong knowledge of financial / capital markets (e.g., Good understanding of financial instruments, operation of capital markets, lifecycle of trade, valuations etc.)
- Evidence of strong operations knowledge including secondary review and controls, risks and mitigation.
- Demonstrate through examples evidence of day to day team management, mentor/coach team members and sharing feedback.
- Analytical ability, problem solving and escalation issues when the need arises.
- Excellent desktop, IT and systems skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office (especially MS Excel and Power Point) is essential.
- Knowledge of related systems: Bloomberg, Reuters (preferred)
- Excellent written and verbal language skills, ability to address technical and non-technical issues independently, knowledge share/training sessions conducted, proactively troubleshoot and manage escalation and work with global teams,
- Excellent interpersonal skills, as this role requires interaction at all levels of the organisation and externally
- 6 - 8 years of experience in reporting functions like financial reporting, regulatory reporting, client reporting and board reporting in an Audit Firm, Hedge Fund, Mutual Fund or Financial institution. Working as a Technical Coordinator (24 months in the role)/ Team Leader with at least 2 years in supervising teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is highly desirable
- People management experience gained within a financial services organization
- Background in regulatory / statutory reporting will be preferred
- Internal candidates must meet the IJP eligibility requirements of Northern Trust
- Minimum of 24 months experience in the process area
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.