Co-op Accountant, Assurance and Accounting
Inspirational, innovative and entrepreneurial - this is how we describe our empowered teams. Combine your passion with purpose and join a culture that is thriving in the face of change.
Make an impact with our Assurance & Accounting team as a 4 month Co-op Accountant from January to April, 2023. This diverse team of professionals are dedicated to exceeding clients’ unique needs within a rapidly evolving business and financial reporting landscape. As a trusted advisor, you’ll provide comprehensive, tailored financial information that enables clients to make informed decisions with confidence.
MNP is proudly Canadian. Providing business strategies and solutions, we are a leading national accounting, tax and business advisory firm in Canada. Entrepreneurial to our core, our talented team members transcend obstacles into opportunities and are successfully transforming mid-market business practices.
When applying, please submit your resume, cover letter, transcript and other applicable forms, as necessary, in 1 document.
- Develop technical skills in areas such as: compilations, reviews, audits, bookkeeping and tax
- Develop and apply knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and/or Accounting Standards for Private Enterprise (ASPE)
- Set-up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses, manage multiple files simultaneously and conduct inventory counts
- Perform accounts receivable, accounts payable, capital asset acquisition and disposition and payroll walk-through with clients in a professional manner
- Summarize current financial status by collecting information and preparing balance sheet, profit and loss statements and other relevant reports
- Assess appropriateness of audit evidence for expenses, revenues, capital asset additions, accounts payable, accounts receivable and prepaid expenses
- Review, investigate and correct discrepancies and irregularities in financial entries, documents and reports
- Establish charts of accounts and prepare entries for posting to accounts
- Prepare correspondence, technical reports, client summaries and presentations outlining engagement findings, facts and highlights
- Collaborate with client engagement team and build relationships with client contacts
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes while effectively using MNP internal programs and systems
- Maintain flexibility to travel, as necessary
Skills and Experience
- Completion of, or working towards, a bachelor’s degree in commerce or business administration (accounting or finance major is preferred)
- Completion of, or working towards, prerequisites for admission into the CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) upon commencement of employment
- Previous accounting related office experience is considered an asset
- Customer service and/or client service experience is considered an asset
- Experience working with accounting and tax software is considered an asset