Senior Accountant, Finance
Who we are
Northern Trust is a preeminent global financial institution that provides asset servicing, investment management and wealth management services for institutions, high-net-worth individuals and families. For more than 130 years, our success has been anchored in one purpose: to serve as our clients’ most trusted financial partner, guarding and growing their assets as though they are our own. Our market-leading technological capabilities—spanning from artificial intelligence for currency management, blockchain for fund administration and cloud-based solutions to deliver personalized wealth management services—allow us to deliver the highest level of service to our clients with speed and precision.
What we do
Northern Trust’s international business has grown dramatically over the last decade. Some of our largest clients are located in Asia and Australia, which represents a rapidly growing client base for the company. Our intricate understanding of the region allows us to provide unique insights and strategic perspectives to our clients. Currently, we have client offices in Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur.
Northern Trust is proud to serve the Australian community with global capabilities, meaningful insights and exceptional service. Institutional clients across Asia Pacific have relied on Northern Trust for effective solutions and ethical guidance across asset servicing and asset management since 1986.
This role within Corporate Finance will work in a team of accountants who are responsible for Financial and Tax Accounting of four Australian entities. One of the entities is an authorised deposit taking institution (ADI) and is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).
As the Senior Accountant, you will have strong Australian Financial Accounting knowledge and knowledge of the Australian regulatory environment. You willl be able to perform preparation of monthly accounts, statutory Financial statements, General Ledger maintenance and tax related activities.
The role reports into the Australian Financial Controller in Melbourne, with Australian Finance functionally reporting to the APAC CFO based in Singapore.
What you will do
- Maintenance of the accounting records, oversight of the financial statements & balance sheet reconciliations for all Australian entities.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Financial Reporting standards which include AIFRs and USGAAP.
- Responsibility for change management, interpretation, implementation of new accounting standards as prescribed under AIFRS and U.S. GAAP
- Preparation of General Purpose Financial Reports under AIFRS
- Ownership of tax accounting and reporting activities to the Australian Taxation Office and State Revenue offices including activity statements, income tax returns, fringe benefits tax returns and payroll tax returns
- Oversee an offshore team of 5 that includes task management, priorities, knowledge sharing and development
- Main Point of contact for Internal and External audits requirements relating to the financial statements
- Responsible for annual review and documentation of all accounting processes
- Contributes to continuous improvement initiatives across reporting processes and solutions
- Respond to information and data requests from relevant committees and other Business Partners
- Play a lead role in implementing Finance related projects to help improve our financial reporting processes.
- Proven experience in a similar role, preferably in a financial services environment
- Qualified CA, CPA or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of Australian Accounting standards
- Communication and analytical skills are necessary to consult with partners/clients, and analyze information and apply accounting standards
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience working with AS400 (Fundmaster and Midas), Hyperion Financial Management, Trintech and PeopleSoft (GL) systems would be advantageous
- Strong working knowledge of Australian Regulatory reporting environment specifically with regards to ASIC and APRA.
As of 31 March 2022 Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $15.5 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $12.0 trillion in assets under custody
- $1.5 trillion in assets under management
- $173 billion in banking assets
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience. Which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2022:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg, 2022 (5th consecutive year)
- Top ranking of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s, Corporate Equality Index, 2022 (For the 15th consecutive year, Northern Trust has scored 100% and earned the designation as a “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality”)
In Australia, we are actively involved in many ways with both community and diversity organisations, which includes charity participation days. For families we offer a very generous parental leave scheme, and all staff have access to subsidised health insurance if they choose.
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today!
- Want to learn more about our company? Visit www.northerntrust.com
- We are a leading global financial institution- Click here to check out our company accolades!
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.