Senior Corporate Tax Advisor, Birmingham (Open to Flexible Working)
The Birmingham Tax team plan to grow over the coming years and we are setting out a clear message that we‘re building a team for the future. We want the right people on board to achieve these growth objectives. Our tax team is a successful and growing one thanks to a large and varied client base ranging from multinational listed businesses to start up, entrepreneurial venture backed covering various sectors like Automotive, Medical, Health, Transportation and Manufacturing. Many of the Birmingham team work flexibly and are actively encouraged to find a working pattern that gives them the work life balance that works for them and our clients. EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
The role means we can offer you the opportunity to gain experience of the mid-market and enhance your skills within a national markets context. Frequently you’ll be working with finance teams at clients to 'stand in' shoes of tax person.
As we seek to further grow the tax business in the Midlands and build new contacts and engagements with businesses across the region, we are looking for tax professionals who excel at client relationships and who have the confidence and skills to win new work and clients. Business development skills, in terms of being able to go out and meet new contacts, understand their business needs and review how we can add value to them by addressing those needs, is therefore a key requirement.
As a corporate tax professional working from EY’s Birmingham office you’ll provide a full range of tax services, comprising both compliance and advisory work. You’ll be working alongside specialists on a day to day basis to broaden your experience of different tax areas to help our clients through the changes in planning, financial accounting, tax compliance and maintaining effective relationships with the tax authorities. The varied work encompasses issues that include CFCs, loss relief, reorganisations, patent box, BEPs and international tax means ultimately this role will offer broad experience with significant exposure to senior stakeholders and a more varied portfolio to help you develop your career with EY.
Your key responsibilities
- To contribute to the efficient and successful delivery of tax services to the client
- Maintain tax relationships with clients and provide high levels of client service
- Grow relationships both within the firm and externally with clients, identifying opportunities and expectations
- Contribute to winning new work by proactively focusing on existing clients and contribute to winning new clients.
- Focus on the successful delivery of tax projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business approach taken
- Responsible for day-to-day client liaison
- Coach and develop our teams
- Provide full tax services to a client portfolio
Skills and attributes for success
- Strong technical skills and keen to develop further
- Ability to grow strong client relationships
- Excellent communicator in range of situations both written and oral
- Ability to identify areas of risk, carry out an effective review and know when to refer upwards
- Client focused and commercially aware
- Ability to grow effective relationships at all levels
- Ability to solve problems creatively and pragmatically
- Ability to coach and develop more junior members of the team
- Experience of advising on both compliance and advisory work, experience of issues including CFCs, loss relief, reorganisations, patent box, BEPs and international tax issues
- Up to date knowledge of changes in the tax environment (BEPS, CBCR etc)
To qualify for the role you must have
- ACA/CA/ACCA/CTA; or Tax Inspectors with full Technical Training Course; or Law qualification
- Experienced corporate tax practitioner
- Experience in tax accounting/tax audit
- Proven ability to read and interpret existing and new tax statute
Ideally, you’ll also have
- Project management skills, plan and prioritize work, meet deadlines, monitor own budget
What we offer;
- Continuous learning: You’ll develop the mindset and skills to navigate whatever comes next.
- Success as defined by you: We’ll provide the tools and flexibility, so you can make a meaningful impact, your way.
- Transformative leadership: We’ll give you the insights, coaching and confidence to be the leader the world needs.
- Diverse and inclusive culture: You’ll be embraced for who you are and empowered to use your voice to help others find theirs.
If you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
The exceptional EY experience. It’s yours to build.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.