Innovation Reliefs Manager
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK; Birmingham, West Midlands, UK; Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK; Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, UK; Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, UK; Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, UK
About the firm and department
As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM will help you reach your full potential. Our Innovation Reliefs Team works with a range of companies, from start-ups to multinationals, to assist them in the preparation of claims for Research & Development tax relief.
The team has experienced rapid growth over the past years and is now looking to further grow the team to support the continued opportunities. We work with companies across all sectors, most notably manufacturing, engineering, life sciences, software and digital technologies to assist them to identify and prepare successful tax relief claims. The variety of projects and impressive client list will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. Further to this, with access to a global team that spans more than 120 countries, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to broaden your horizons. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!
About the job
An exciting opportunity to work in a growing, specialist Innovation Reliefs (IR) tax team at RSM within the Central Region, you will be based near one of the following offices: Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham, Bury St Edmunds, Cambridge, Bristol, Milton Keynes or Brentwood. The role involves working directly with the technical specialists across many different sectors who are at the forefront of innovation within their businesses, whilst also experiencing a role in a global professional services firm.
- Managing R&D engagements including financial management and billing, staffing, risk procedures, deliverables and client relationships.
- Meeting with clients and potential clients across to explain our services.
- Determining and appropriating scope of work and budget for each client and proposing a fee quote.
- Developing claim methodologies and manage the preparation of R&D tax relief claims for submission to HMRC.
- Coordinating and leading interviews with clients’ technical and finance teams to advise on the R&D tax relief and to assist with identification of qualifying R&D activities and expenditure.
- Writing technical descriptions of the client’s projects to include in the reports to be sent to HMRC, and also editing client drafted technical descriptions, highlighted areas for improvement and suggested changes.
- Preparing robust costing and technological documentation to support the R&D claims based on the UK BIS guidelines and CIRD manual.
- Building an internal network within the wider parts of the firm and an external network with intermediary companies.
- Identifying and progressing business development opportunities, pitching for work with both new and existing clients.
- Preparation of documentation and liaison with HMRC in response to enquiries into R&D Tax claims.
- Acting as a point of contact on specific R&D projects for any queries from the business.
- Reviewing work completed by junior staff for accuracy and completeness, and providing constructive feedback.
- Ensuring tax quality at all times by adhering to the firm’s quality standards.
- Ensuring the R&D engagement team are fully updated on progress and any issues that might affect the client relationship.
- Communicating confidently and knowledgably with other Managers, Senior Managers, Directors and Partners within the firm.
About the ideal candidate
- Relevant professional qualification (e.g. CTA, ACA, CA).
- Technical or scientific background (degree or industry experience) is desirable, but not essential.
- High level of tax technical knowledge of the UK’s R&D tax incentives.
- Experience in preparing and submitting R&D tax relief claims in all sectors (experience of making patent box claims would be desirable but not essential).
- Knowledge of different claim methodologies, especially any industry specific challenges, over a broad range of industries. - Clear and concise writing style.
- Experience in responding to HMRC enquiries.
- Proven experience in client handling and managing a busy portfolio.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.