Accountant, Functional Control EMEA - Hybrid
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
This position is within the Functional Control team in London, a team that provides the interface between the Business and Finance from a financial accounting and reporting perspective. The role is mainly project-driven and covers projects both within Finance but more often as the Finance representative on projects in other departments. This position’s responsibility includes working with the Business to make sure that the processes and systems being worked on are correctly reflected in the Corporation’s financial statements. The successful individual will play a significant role in the team, provide thought leadership and will be required to have strong interaction and working relationships with the business, operational and finance teams. The role will report to the UK Functional Control Manager.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Partner with different business and operational lines to ensure that support is provided by Finance as their businesses expand, develop and grow. This would include, but not be limited to, the build-out of new products, locations and systems;
- Understand and own the end-to-end process flow, acting as the link between the front/middle office and Finance;
- Review processes, controls and systems within and outside of Finance to ensure that the risk of misstatement of the Corporation’s financial statements is appropriately mitigated;
- Investigate issues affecting financial and regulatory reporting, documentation of issues and concluding on new or improved controls required;
- Work with other Finance teams to implement and drive change to achieve the Finance strategy objectives.
- Qualified accountant with experience in a multi-currency financial services environment;
- Experienced background in a corporate financial control environment with a sound knowledge of accounting, reporting and financial control requirements as well as statutory and audit requirements;
- Experience of using a variety of accounting and back office and general ledger systems;
- Ability to understand how the detailed activities in areas of focus fit into the larger financial accounting and reporting picture for individual legal entities and Corporation as a whole.
- Strong ability to build consensus and influence behaviour of those outside of direct reporting line;
- Ability to partner effectively with peers, senior management, and overseas partners;
- Self-starter with an ability to self-motivate;
- Strong planning and organisational skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Highly numerate with strong organisational and problem solving skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to proactively assess issues, identify solutions and problem solve;
- Flexible approach and ability to adapt and react positively towards changing work methods, deadlines and variable workloads;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines; and
- Strong business skills and business acumen.
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
- Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
- Work Life Balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
- Health & Wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
- Professional Development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
- We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.