Internal Controls Manager (SOX)
Exciting opportunity for a hands-on and highly effective internal control specialist with SOX experience and a passion and proven track record for success in financial and business process control design, leading SOX risk assessments and readiness, and managing timely performance of controls to set up and own SOX Compliance, to join one of largest and fastest growing, tech driven hotel management and booking platform company.
Reporting into the Senior FC, you will partner closely with FP&A, Tax, Treasury, Operations, Legal and IT Security teams to set up the SOX Compliance program and to drive cross-functional process/control improvement initiatives to support the organisation's path towards eventual IPO.
This is an individual contributor role for now but will have the opportunity to build and lead a team when the organisation expands and compliance work increases. You will be the project owner and is expected to drive change, think independently, clearly communicate, and will be the primary contact for all internal and external SOX Compliance inquiries.
- Setup and lead the organisation’s SOX Compliance framework, risk assessment and scoping process by identifying significant and critical processes and key controls, ensure adequate scope, documentation, training of control owners, and testing
- Plan and perform a top-down, risk-based approach to evaluating internal controls over financial reporting to ensure requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley Act are met
- Develop the annual audit plan and schedule using a risk-based approach to ensure adequate controls over financial reporting.
- Ensure adequate and appropriateness of internal control documentation for financial processes, IT applications and ITGC's, planning documents, narratives, process maps, key controls and key reports, walkthroughs, and tests of controls
- Oversee SOX compliance audit, including the scoping, testing and documentation of the results and remediation plans
- Responsible for educating, training, and monitoring functional teams for SOX compliance to outlined processes, and ensure that all key controls/objectives are understood and being performed satisfactorily.
- Go-to person for internal controls expertise within the organisation and provides reliable and insightful resource for implementing controls within a business process in an efficient and effective manner
- Communicate identified findings and propose recommendations and remediation plans to management and the Audit Committee; track the remediation and ensure closure of findings
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with the management teams of all major functional areas as well as external auditor, ensuring a holistic understanding of key risks and processes of the organisation
- Proactively advise management on key risk areas and drive remediation plans balancing risk mitigation with pragmatic and efficient processes to support the business
- Degree in Accounting or Finance is required
- Big 4 experience is preferred. CIA, CPA or other relevant professional certification highly desired
- Self-starter, able to build a new function from scratch
- A deep understanding of US GAAP, COSO framework, Sarbanes Oxley Act, and PCAOB auditing standards, and experience using auditing and assessment frameworks and the application of the related professional standards, 8 years of audit (internal and external) experience with the last few years involved with SOX
- Ability to influence, interact and partner effectively with cross-functional and remote teams at all levels of management and geographies
- Advanced understanding of financial and business processes and the risks surrounding those processes
- Strong understanding of IT risks and controls and their overall impact to the financial control environment
- Excellent organisational, communication (English, written and oral presentations) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to bring structure, understanding and clarity from an internal control perspective
- Ability to comfortably lead discussions around internal control matters with leadership and external auditors Strong documentation and project management skills and experience
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and competing priorities
- Knowledge in SAP will be an advantage
- Other ad hoc assignments as required