Assistant Manager - AP & GL
Job / Role Purpose
Carry out tasks for the smooth operation of KPMG LG Finance AP & GL Operations. Support in the consistent implementation of controls and best practices, policies and processes across the finance function. Facilitate the day to day operations in regard to Accounts Payable and Operations. The role will encompass both local and cross-border responsibilities allowing you to work closely with other professionals within the Lower Gulf and KPMG Internationally.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for carrying out tasks set out for day to day AP & GL operations Finance duties across LG.
- Carry out instructions and work towards producing results accurately and on time.
- Support in the budgeting process for KPMG LG.
- Work to achieve results in collaboration with Finance & ITS.
Accounting & Controls
- Support in ensuring a smooth month end close.
- Prepare general ledger transactions and carry out/review Payables reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Review Inter-Firm reconciliations.
- Support in preparation of files, policies/procedures for Internal and External Audits.
Accounts Payable and Expense claims operations
- Management of the P2P process ensuring all invoices are appropriately approved and paid in line with business and statutory requirements
- Act as an effective business partner with service lines to drive adherence to P2P policy and identify and implement AP processes
- Drive resolution of invoice holds relating to PO exceptions. Independently lead root cause analysis, and issue resolution related to system or non-adherence to P2P policy
- Responsible for onboarding new suppliers and ensuring annual agreements are maintained
- Oversee and maintain proper approval for non-purchase order invoices
- Responsibility for the P2P Balance sheet related processes and audit reviews ensuring any issues are surfaced and resolved ensuring no P&L surprises
- Support the Payables cash flow forecast process
- Analyse invoices and expense claims reports for accuracy and eligibility for payments as per KPMG policy
- Responsible for maintaining proper documents and records for vendor, AP and payment approval process
- Ensure timely payment of vendor and member firm invoices and expense claims
- Review and improve process and controls, ensuring compliance with expense management policies.
- Guide vendors on the use of the Supplier portal and resolve related queries
- Ownership of the P2P month-end close process ensuring timely close and reconciliation of all ledgers to the GL without material error or delay
- Ensure completion, applications and notice of guarantee cancellations.
Extent of work
- Should be able to work autonomously with minimal direction and supervision.
- Good planning and organizational skills to balance and prioritize work
- The role involves direct contact with Finance Manager and Head of Finance
- Follow structure and process for monthly reconciliations.
- Prepare periodic analysis of internal controls, document and identify areas for improvement.
- Follow policies and processes required to increase controls.
- Deliver work to the highest standards and quality
- Readiness to go extra mile to avoid mistakes and produce new opportunities
- Balance conflicting priorities within the team ensuring the right trade-offs are made
- Manage, coordinate, and support special projects as required
Required skills and knowledge for the role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent supervisory and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to motivate staff.
- Good organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and to meet deadlines.
Knowledge / Technical Skills
Knowledge / Technical Skills required (including the level) for the role
- Thorough understanding of Accounts Payable function.
- Sound working knowledge of MS Office required; Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Current IFRS/GAAP knowledge.
Education / Work experience
- Degree in Accounting or Finance. MBA in Finance or Professional accountancy qualification a plus
- Experience in a multicultural / multi-national work place
- Member of a recognized accounting body (CPA, CA, ACCA, etc.)
- 2-3 years of experience in a supervisory capacity, preferably in a professional services organization
Conditions and working environment
- The employee will be expected to perform the essential functions of the job under normal working conditions and standard business working hours
- The employee must have the flexibility to work overtime beyond the normal work hours such as on evenings and weekends if necessary in order to meet deadlines
- Ability and willingness to undertake business travel regionally and globally as required