Finance Business Partner
• Be the single point of Finance contact for your directorate and enable good working relationships.
• Field and reply to queries from the directorate, focusing on the delivery of business outcomes whilst remaining impartial and providing appropriate challenge.
• Provide advice and information to your directorate proactively relating to the associated finance rules/standards such as IFRS/IAS and the Financial Reporting Manual (FReM).
• Be a key stakeholder on strategy formation working collaboratively with both for the directorate you support and Finance internally.
Technical and Accounting
• Ensure accounts are reflective of the accruals concept.
• Provide auditable and transparent records relating to accounting transactions.
• Monitor and address potential issues of novel and contentious spend.
• Proactively seek to understand the business accounting model, and its impacts inwards or outwards of your directorate.
Budget and Forecasts
• Own and proactively create a line by line two-year Budget and Forecast model for your directorate. Ensure splits relating to following are understood:
• Expenditure and Income;
• Staff and non-staff – Working with Workforce Planners;
• Revenue, Capital and non-cash;
• Del Admin and Del Programme;
• Provide appropriate challenge and support to business decisions with financial impacts;
• Provide monthly consolidated returns to stakeholders such as the Management Accounts and Financial Accounts team;
• Provide annual budget and spending review returns to the Financial Planning Team, matching these to internal forecasts and applying narrative in support of the directorate’s direction of travel;
• Drive the monitoring and action of Financial risks with the stakeholder group of the directorate; and
• Autonomously seek information from Projects that impact on BAU spend ensuring business area information requests are kept to a minimum.
Business Communication and Delivery
• Host and facilitate a monthly director checkpoint meetings, ensuring attendance from key stakeholders. But also ensuring key messages are understood, foster a culture of action ownership and hold stakeholders to account.
• Write Financial sections of business cases assessing all internal and external factors.
• Ensure business challenges are understood and supported, and the workforce plans are reflective in any and all outputs.
• Work closely with Project FBP’s, HR Business Partners and Commercial Business Partners to delivery cross function objectives.
• Attend directorate meetings and be an active member of the directorate senior leadership group.
• Understand those challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Provide the Cost Centre Manager (CCM) with line management support, undertaking quarterly performance reviews and developing capability.
• Oversight of CCM’s Cost Centre and Ledger Management duties relating to transactions and journal processing.
• Oversight and support the CCM’s cross-team task.
• Provide CCM direction on non-standard reporting requirements, ensuring delivery to stakeholders in a suitable method and reviewable time-frame.
1) Due to this being a Finance role month-end is a critical time, therefore leave on the 1st and 2nd working day of each month can only be approved in advance by the Head of the Finance Business Partner Team.
- You will have an inquisitive mind and be able to constructively challenge at all levels to achieve the right results.
- You are able to keep your own and the team’s efforts autonomously focused on the goals that really matter and successfully manage, support and stretch yourself to deliver agreed outcomes by being proactive and taking ownership and accountability for decisions and commitments.
- You will have a keen eye for detail and a tenacious approach to your work.
- You will have strong analytical and problem solving skills and be able to recognise patterns, trends and draw key conclusions in a wide range of evidence and data.
- You will have the ability to build and establish positive relationships with a range of stakeholders to support the delivery of business outcomes and possess good interpersonal skills and communication skills, written and verbal.
• Experience in business case impacting and cross team collaboration.
• Have an Intermediate level of excel skills, with the willingness to enhance further.
• Experience in management accounts reporting, financial accounts impacting and journal management.
• Be willing to travel several days each quarter, off-set by some homeworking after embedding into the role.
• Experience of the Business World application.
• Experience of purchase order management
• Experience of Power BI.
Technical skills required:
• CCAB member (including CIMA) in the Final year of studies or Fully qualified CCAB member (including CIMA). Those in final year of studies and will be committed to completing studies and log-books within 1 year of appointment.
CCAB Qualification (including CIMA) in the Final year of studies or Fully qualified CCAB member (including CIMA).
Active CCAB, CIMA or equivalent membership.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Skills test presentation.
Successful applicants will receive funding towards CCAB (inc. CIMA) final year studies if applicable. For full-qualified candidates, funding will be provided to further studies through completion of a CIPFA FBP Qualification.
We want you have a good work-life balance and want to support you in all that you do so we offer a great benefits package:
• Flexible working arrangements and flexi-time.
• Full time new entrants to the Civil Service and those Civil Servants on modernised terms and conditions will be entitled to 25 days leave increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years’ service.
• In addition to this you are entitled to 8 public/bank holidays plus an additional day for the Queen’s Birthday.
• Competitive maternity, paternity and parental leave.
• 5 days paid leave for learning and development
• 5 days paid for volunteering.
• Cycle to work scheme.
• Season ticket loan.
• Staff have access to an employee assistance programme, Workplace Wellness, for confidential, independent support and advice during difficult times in either their professional or personal life.