Corporate Tax Manager
Reading, Berkshire; Basingstoke, Hampshire; Crawley, West Sussex; Guildford, Surrey; Southampton, Hampshire, UK
About the firm and department
RSM is a leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services to middle market leaders globally, and we are one of the top 10 accountancy firms in the UK and US in respect to size. With around 3,650 partners and staff in the UK and access to 51,000 people in over 120 countries across the RSM network, we can meet our clients’ needs wherever in the world they operate and offer our staff brilliant and fulfilling careers. Indeed, we were recently "2 star" accredited by Best Companies, achieving the rating of "outstanding organisation to work for". We also placed second in the "Best Accountancy Firms" and have been named the UK's 6th "Best Big Company".
As part of a National Corporate Tax service line and alongside strong local experts within the Southern Region offices, such as Reading, Basingstoke, Gatwick, Guildford or Southampton (depending on your location), you’ll work on an impressive client list made up of growth-focused entrepreneurs, private equity portfolio companies and large multinationals. The variety of projects will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!
About the role
As a consequence of a number of recent senior hires and client wins, we are looking to enhance our team further with the addition of a Corporate Tax Manager, who is looking for an environment where they will have opportunity to accelerate their knowledge, skills and development in a creative, entrepreneurial and supportive team working with lots of fantastic clients along the way.
This is a brilliant opportunity to manage a portfolio of corporate clients, some with complex tax affairs, ensuring both excellent client service and identification of further work opportunities. The role will involve working on a variety of advisory projects and technical assignments. In addition, you will take a role in business development opportunities, proposals and networking events, as well as managing and reviewing complex compliance work and managing more junior team members.
- Being the main point of contact on portfolio allocation and responding quickly to clients.
- Liaising with the client throughout the year and always practising the principles of excellent client service.
- Identifying and advising on tax planning opportunities and undertaking specialist technical assignments as required.
- Managing the assignment in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirming arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangements.
- Ensuring the work meets targeted recovery and billing clients on a timely basis.
- Researching and preparing proposals for new work and taking part in formal presentations to prospective clients.
- Being actively involved in the office business development activities.
- Taking an active involvement in client seminars and following up with individuals.
- Ensuring appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments and all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly.
- Developing a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services and undertaking special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- Maintaining an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses and fulfilling professional bodies’ CPD requirements.
- Acting as a line manager to staff, including taking a role in their development. This includes undertaking ‘on the job’ training and career conversations.
- Assisting in student recruitment, training and marketing activities as required.
- Attending staff meetings and training as required.
- Briefing junior staff on clients’ businesses and the pre-assignment instructions, as well as supervising and controlling the completion of work.
- Ensuring clients’ tax affairs comply with statutory requirements and managing compliance work efficiently.
- Maintaining an awareness and observation of Health and Safety issues within the firm and reporting any concerns to the Health and Safety Representative.
- Carrying out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested by the line manager, Head of Department or a Partner.
About the ideal candidate
This role will suit someone who is looking for an environment where they will have opportunity to accelerate their knowledge and skills in a creative, entrepreneurial and supportive team, working with lots of fantastic clients along the way.
- Ideally CTA / ATII qualified or equivalent, along with a prior tax or accounting qualification such as CA, ACCA or ATT.
- Strong corporate tax knowledge, exhibiting the ability to deliver compliance and advisory services.
- Proven experience in client handling and project management.
- Proven tax experience in producing high quality work within budget.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
Flexible working at RSM
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.