Accounting & Financial Reporting Manager
This exciting role is to join the largest Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) team in the South, based in our Basingstoke office. The ABA team is split into three sub-teams; Accounting, Insight and Advisory (AIA), Accounting and Financial Reporting (AFR) and Financial Advisory Services (FAS).
The role is a Manager within our AFR team, which has experienced significant growth in the last 12 months. The client base is a mixture of entities including large corporate, owner managed businesses. Client size varies from corporates on 24-month runway towards audit to large international groups and everything in-between.
AFR projects mainly include the preparation of year-end statutory accounts compliant with FRS 101, FRS 102 or IFRS. The role may also include other business advisory work such as pre-audit readiness reviews and support, financial reporting advisory projects and ad-hoc secondment work to support gaps in client teams.
A Manager acts as a lead contact across a varied portfolio of clients with responsibility for client service and quality of work. The portfolio will be tailored around the individual’s skill set and interests. The Manager is expected to act as a key client contact and delegate work into the team.
The role also includes a position within the leadership team, contributing to the smooth running of the department alongside the Associate Directors, Director and Partner. A fundamental element of the role is the active coaching and development of the more junior members of the team.
RSM has a commitment to ‘grow our own’ talent. We want all our people to reach their full potential. Our range of learning and development programmes has been set up to help everyone achieve their goals. So whether you’re looking to expand your skill set or want to become an associate director, director or partner, our first-class training and career development opportunities will help get you there.
To lead the delivery of AFR services on a portfolio of clients. To work alongside other service lines such as Audit and Tax and report into the client relationship Partner on matters of additional advisory and client care. Expected to practice the principles of excellent client service at all times.
To manage the working capital of the above projects including budgeting, cost management, billing and debt recoverability. To ensure resource is planned effectively and team members are briefed appropriately to deliver projects to clients in line with RSM’s quality guidelines and procedures.
To act as a senior team-member in the team and act as a role-model in their approach and actions for more junior team members.
To actively coach and develop our team. This includes acting as a line manager, mentor and performing job appraisals.
To play an active role in business development, participating in targeting and lead generation, supporting proposals to new clients, and agreeing projects with the firm’s existing clients.
To develop and maintain an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil the any appropriate CPD requirements.
To oversee and review work completed by our strong team of assistant managers, supervisors and assistants. To ensure firm policy and procedures are followed.
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- Candidates should be either ACA or ACCA qualified or equivalent. Candidates are expected to have a minimum of two years post-qualification experience.
- Experience of managing a portfolio of client work within a professional practice. It is expected that candidates may be transitioning from an audit role, which has many complementary skills.
A strong accounting and financial reporting skillset is fundamental. A specialism in one or more of the following areas are highly desirable:
- IFRS or US GAAP.
- Complex UK GAAP reporting including group reorganisations and consolidations.
- Non-for-profit including Charity SORP.
- Sector specialism, for example Legal, Technology, Manufacturing, Property etc.
- Excellent communication skills with proven experience of building lasting client relationships.
- An adaptable and collaborative team player able to work at all levels from trainee to Partner. Coaching and development skills.
- Excellent proficiency in MS Office products including Word and Excel.
- Ability to deliver results autonomously – a “self-starter” with a positive attitude.