Director - Business Services & Outsourcing
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
Our clients are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy - and the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
Based in our Edinburgh office, but covering all of Scotland, you will be responsible for providing leadership to the team, managing a portfolio of clients and supporting the Partner. This includes planning, monitoring, reviewing work of junior members and taking responsibility for business development and marketing initiatives. The main focus of the role is to help the partner grow and develop the Business Service and Outsourcing offering in Scotland.
In this role you will:
- Develop, execute and manage the marketing and business development strategy for own portfolio, working with the partners to realise these
- Develops plans and forecasts for the area of the practice they are responsible for; manages the full lifecycle of practice management from budgeting through to collections.
- Contribute to the economic management of the department in matters such as budgeting and monitoring and managing to key metrics
- Ensures that cloud accounting software and add-ons are being used to the maximum effect across their outsourcing portfolio.
- Open to new solutions and ideas to improve the profitability of engagement and actively seeks to implement these
- Educate clients with new ideas minimalising the perception of buyers risk, differentiating our services, demonstrating our experience, building trust and confidence
- Seek to be a step ahead of the client and anticipate their future needs in a way that will make a significant commercial difference
- Use knowledge and understanding of the client, business drivers, and technology to help design custom or complex management reports and complex KPI dashboards
- Act as project director on larger clients, with signing off rights and overall responsibility for the job, with Partner retaining relationship responsibilities only
We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified Accountant (CA, ACCA or equivalent) or equivalent experience
- Excellent UK GAAP knowledge
- Relevant experience of managing a large team is essential
- Proven experience in managing a wide portfolio of concurrent projects and project teams in a project management framework
- Full knowledge of compliance and take on procedures
- Knowledge of the impacts that different client/industries and service offerings have on the technical work and final deliverables
- In depth knowledge of financial reporting and accounting functions
- Excellent understanding of ecosystem of cloud accounting software and ad-ons and can articulate the purpose and value of appropriate systems to clients
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy. Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.