Process Manager, UK Financial Reporting
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities.
If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email us at APAC_Talent_Acquisition_Communications@ntrs.com
The job holder is responsible leading/managing a team of Financial Reporting professionals (Analysts, Senior Analysts, Technical Coordinators and Team Leaders) consisting of up to 20 full time employees. The job holder has responsibility for the team’s training, performance management and performance in the preparation and review of financial statements, schedule of investments, significant acquisitions and disposals and explanatory notes on the same (including preparation and review of tax reporting data due to tax agents), for mutual funds, hedge funds and/or fund of hedge fund clients.
Financial statements are prepared on a cyclical basis (for example; quarterly, semi-annual or annually) depending on the team in accordance with regulatory guidelines in the home country (for example: UK, Ireland, Luxembourg, Switzerland and U.S). The preparation is based on a set processes and procedures and the job holder will be required to adhere to these processes in completing day to day tasks.
Once financial statement is prepared, the jobholder will be responsible for reviewing the work of more junior team members including, analysis and research for any discrepancies before the statement is issued to the home country for review. The Technical Coordinator will then oversee and review any required corrective work as identified and communicated by the home country before closure.
Due to the cyclical nature of the activities, it is anticipated that there will be peak periods of work and the job holder may be required to undertake additional working hours to ensure tasks are completed to the appropriate deadlines.
Partner has overall operational responsibility for the team’s results against defined client SLAs and KPIs and will provide effective leadership of the Process/Team including recruiting, training, and performance management to ensure the delivery of high quality service to clients and stakeholders.
- Responsible for effectively managing escalations and focusing on resolution of complex transactions, where expertise is required to interpret policies, guidelines and/or processes
- Assist stakeholders, partners, and staff with complex problem resolution. Consults on effective ways to meet client needs or appropriate method to be used for resolution of an error.
- Develops periodic goals, organizes the work, short-term priorities, monitors all activities, and ensures timely and accurate completion of teams work.
- Monitor team goals as measured against the Section KPIs, identify process failures and improve quality percentages. Improve on past performance through systems development, root cause analysis and continuous training.
- Cultivates and maintains working relationship with key stakeholders and other operations areas to ensure service levels meets stakeholder requirements.
- Keep appraised of relevant industry, business, and regulatory developments
- Understand risk in own team; help others to understand this and to recognise that risk is everyone’s responsibility
- Reviews systems and processes within the team to ensure greater automation and control.
- Work closely with Senior Manager to achieve long term department goals and on various processes / projects
- Ensure adequate Governance and Oversight controls are in place with Key Stakeholders – monthly meetings, quarterly service reviews etc.
- To continually assess the team’s processes to improve efficiency, reduce risk or cost, as well as to increase the satisfaction of our staff.
- Deliver on productivity targets for team/process.
- Participates in client meetings to explain our service capability.
- Proactively promoting Financial Reporting working groups to keep relevant in the most recent global accounting and regulatory requirements.
- Participate in client due diligence visits
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff, fostering an environment which encourages employee participation, teamwork, and communication.
- Guides subordinates in the resolution of difficult client reporting/accounting problems that are non-routine in nature. Directs staff efforts in meeting department objectives.
- Deliver training /coaching effectively.
- Conducts Mid-Year and annual appraisal for your direct reports and ensure career development processes are put in place.
- Ensure team leaders are facilitating one on one on regular basis, analyse feedback and develop appropriate plans.
- Excellent Interpersonal (relationship builder, respectful, resolves problems, people friendly and organisational savvy)
- Communication (presentation skills, listening skills, oral communication skills, allows others to express themselves and written communication skills)
- Self-management (adaptability and resilience, learning behaviour, integrity and ethics and relationship builder)
- Motivation (performance standards, achieving results and persistent)
- Thinking (creative thinking, decision making, input seeking, logical thinking and solution finding)
- Organisational Knowledge (business knowledge, expert knowledge and external events impact)
- Client Service and Quality (quality, relationship building and client satisfaction)
- Administration (Virtual team capacity utilization, Anticipates needs, execution, planning, process specialist, quality seeker and time management)
Leadership (Addresses difficult issues, builds effective teams focused on goals, champions new initiatives, fosters development, gives timely feedback and coaching, Idea generator and sets challenging performance standards
Skills and Experience
- At least 8 years of relevant working experience within a securities operations, investment management, fund services environment
- Strong leadership and people management skills. Minimum 3 years of people management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, CFA or MBA preferred
- Certified Public Accountant highly desirable
- Knowledge of financial instruments, accounting concepts and products
- Knowledge of accounting and regulatory concepts, financial instruments and products acquired through studies and related work experience
- Knowledge of US GAAP, UK GAAP, Irish GAAP, Lux GAAP, Swiss GAAP & IFRS through studies and/or work experience (preferred)
- Excellent desktop, IT and systems skills. Experience of Sungard InvestOne fund accounting platform or Confluence/FundARC Suite financial reporting systems advantageous. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word essential
- Knowledge and understanding of migrations, new client implementations and accounting/legal reporting requirements acquired through work experience. Experience on transitions/consolidation of various systems and completing necessary reconciliations (preferred)
- Strong practical knowledge of risk and control frameworks applicable to work area
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.