Regional Payroll Accountant
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service. Northern Trust is one of thelargest banking institutionsin the United States and one of theoldest banks in continuous operation. As of December 31, 2021, it had $1.6 trillion in assets under management and $16.2 trillion in assets under custody / administration.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Perform daily payroll activities to ensure timely, accurate, and compliant payroll production of assigned payrolls including complex and year-end activities
- Reviews payroll adjustment requests to ensure proper authorization and compliance with corporate policies, employment tax & other payroll-related laws; and advises management of appropriate corrective action when an error occurs; Record monthly payroll metrics
- Responds to payroll inquiries from all levels throughout the organization to explain pay and impact of policies, tax law and related changes. Analyses existing policies, procedures, and practices to ensure compliance with tax & other payroll-related laws and regulations. Recommends and implements modifications of existing payroll processes to ensure compliance with requirements
- Work directly with vendors and/or review payroll system or applications to ensure changes submitted are correctly reflected on the payroll. May be responsible for system/application testing (e.g. upgrades, tax updates, etc.) where applicable, and may participate in HR system or payroll implementations and other payroll projects and process improvements for assigned payrolls
- Prepares and/or monitors payroll tax and general ledger accounts/activities, and works with Finance to reconcile discrepancies, and process or advise on appropriate accounting transactions to keep accounts in balance
- Researches and monitors regulatory and legislative changes impacting payroll areas of responsibility to ensure ongoing compliance
- Performs assigned vendor management activities to ensure adherence to corporate vendor management standards
- Serves a key subject matter expert and may coach and/or train Analyst and Senior Analyst level team members; Reviews the work of other team members including but not limited to review of payroll input and manual calculations. Acquires knowledge of other team members’ payroll activities and performs back up support.
- Represents the department in various meetings
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Several years of payroll experience, preferably dealing with multiple countries.
- Strong Proficiency working with Excel
- Must be familiar with all aspects of payroll processing including payroll production, reconciliation, General Ledger and tax compliance
- Attention to detail, ability to work independently, and organizational skills to meet strict deadlines
- Able to multi-task in a high paced environment
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with a focus on continuous improvements
- Knowledge of other areas of Human Resources & Finance, and their impact on payroll production activities