This role is suitable for someone who is completing a co – op placement as part of their undergraduate degree. This is a 9-month paid internship commencing September 2022.
Established in 1992, Applegreen is a leading convenience roadside retailer in the Republic of Ireland, the UK and the US in both large-scale Motorway Service Areas and Travel Plazas, and smaller scale petrol/gas filling stations. As of mid-2020, the business had grown to over €3.1BN in annual revenue, operating over 640 forecourt sites internationally and employing over 14,000 people. Our products and services include large scale food and beverage operations, convenience stores, roadside refuelling including electric vehicle channels, in addition to a number of other ancillary business lines e.g. hotels and gaming business in Welcome Break and our commercial fuel and airline refuelling business etc. We partner with many high-quality international brands including but not limited to Starbucks, Burger King, Subway, Greggs, KFC, 7-Eleven, Chopstix, Freshii etc in addition to our own proprietary Bakewell brand. In 2021 Applegreen moved from a PLC to a private ownership company structure in partnership with Blackstone Infrastructure Partners.
At Applegreen, it’s our people that make us a success. We collaborate as a growing international business, while ensuring locally led high performing teams in each of our regions. Each region has distinct elements in its culture while operating within a Group culture that is built around a clear employee proposition considering the needs of all our people. There is a strong entrepreneurial culture in the business which is driven by the founders who started the business more than 25 years ago and are still closely involved with the business today.
Our Core Values are at the heart of our culture and reflect our business ethos and the behaviours by which our people will be successful. Our Core Values are outlined below:
Applegreen prides itself on our commitment to charity and the community and the company established a large-scale charity fund in 2009. Every time a customer makes a shop and & fuel or a shop-only purchase, the company donates 1c to the Applegreen Charitable Fund. We are currently proudly supporting Pieta House, Enable Ireland, Irish Youth Foundation (Applegreen Blossom Fund) & Food Cloud.
Why choose Applegreen?
- Be part of the success story of a home-grown Irish company, has grown into a large international organisation and continues to rapidly expand.
- Disruptor and innovator in the food, retail, and fuel industries.
- Be part of a high performing and diverse workforce comprising of over 14,000 employees and expertise such as food scientists, trading & supply chain specialists, interior designers, architects, commercial and acquisition teams, marketeers and mystery shoppers, retail management, franchise experts, fuel economists, hoteliers, gaming designers and corporate functions specialists such as finance, IT and HR.
- Unlimited opportunities to learn and take on challenging and interesting responsibilities
- Great exposure to top level leaders and opportunity to gain broad business acumen in a rapidly scaling business.
- Excellent training and support including formal learning, on the job coaching and mentoring programmes.
- Building entrepreneurship and innovation into your core DNA.
- A competitive internship salary of €24,000
- 20 days annual leave per annum (pro rata over duration of your internship)
About the Role
Broad, multi-faceted experience working for 9 months across the Finance function on a rotational basis in some of the below areas:
- Month-end procedures including reconciliations performance / review
- Posting of journals
- Preparation of supporting schedules / reporting packs
- Supporting statutory audit Involvement in ad hoc projects
- Involvement in SAP implementation
- Experience across various Tax heads including corporation tax, payroll taxes, VAT, Relevant Contract Tax etc
- Preparation of tax analysis / computations feeding into computations / filings Involvement in tax process reviews feeding into tax governance framework Involvement in tax planning for potential acquisitions.
- The overall management of the Group’s balance sheet, cash and liquidity positions
- The employment of appropriate Group funding strategy and structures Management of the group’s cash balances
- Forecasting of cash and financing requirements over short, medium- and long-term horizons
- Helping ensure that future sources of financing are available as required for the group’s ongoing capital expenditure programme (via structured finance, debt capital markets, bank finance, etc.)
- Performance of ad hoc risk reviews and internal control GAAP assessment
- Involvement with audit team in the performance of head office process audits
- Performance of site audits in conjunction with site auditors
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Experience working as part of a project team on potential acquisitions
- Supporting in the preparation of investment cases for senior management on potential future transactions
- Involvement in investment committee meetings with Group c-suite to discuss investment cases
- Ad hoc support in financial analysis of different project scenarios
There is the option to extend the internship for the right candidate for an extra 3 months in the candidate’s preferred area.