Corporate Tax Manager
About the firm and department
RSM is a leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services to middle market leaders globally, and we are one of the top 10 accountancy firms in the UK and US in respect to size. With around 3,650 partners and staff in the UK and access to 51,000 people in over 120 countries across the RSM network, we can meet our clients’ needs wherever in the world they operate and offer our staff brilliant and fulfilling careers. Indeed, we were recently "2 star" accredited by Best Companies, achieving the rating of "outstanding organisation to work for". We also placed second in the "Best Accountancy Firms" and have been named the UK's 6th "Best Big Company".
Our Corporate Tax Team is growing and services clients across a great variety of industries and sectors, such as manufacturing, construction, healthcare and technology. We work with customers ranging from owner-managed businesses and middle market organisations to large multinational groups, inclusive of FTS250 companies, managing their tax affairs on the compliance side while also having the opportunity to manage any advisory matters which arise. We work closely with colleagues across the firm to provide a joined-up service to companies and groups of companies, combining expertise in accounting, audit and all relevant taxes.
About the role
The purpose of the position is to manage a varied portfolio of corporate clients with complex tax affairs, ensuring both excellent client service and identification of further work opportunities. The role will involve working on a variety of advisory projects and technical assignments. In addition, the Corporate Tax Manager will play an active role in business development opportunities, proposals and networking events, making a significant contribution towards the overall future development and success of the office and firm.
- Acting as the main point of contact on tax only cases for the firm and respond quickly to clients.
- Liaising with the client throughout the year and practising the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- Identifying and advising on tax planning opportunities and undertaking specialist technical assignments as required.
- Managing the assignment in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangements. Ensuring the work meets targeted recovery, and to bill clients on a timely basis.
- Researching and preparing proposals for new work, and taking part in formal presentations to prospective clients.
- Taking active involvement in the office business development activities, as well as client seminars and effectively following up.
- Ensuring appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments, and that all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly.
- Developing a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services and undertaking special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- Maintaining an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and fulfilling professional bodies’ CPD requirements.
- Acting as a line manager for staff, including taking an active role in their development.
- Attending staff meetings and training as required.
- Briefing junior staff on the client’s business and the pre-assignment instructions, and undertaking 'on the job' training and appraisals where necessary.
- Ensuring the clients’ tax affairs comply with statutory requirements, and managing compliance work team efficiently.
- Ensuring tax quality at all times by adhering to the Firm’s quality standards.
- Maintaining an awareness and observation of Health and Safety issues within the Firm, and reporting any concerns to the Health and Safety Representative.
- Carrying out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested by the line manager, Head of Department or any Partner.
About the ideal candidate
You will have solid corporate tax advisory experience and effective team leadership skills, with an interest in and/or aptitude for business development. Opportunities for progression are open for the right candidate with excellent support for training and development needs.
- Good standard of education, particularly in Maths and English.
- Ideally CTA / ATII qualified or equivalent, along with a prior tax or accounting qualification such as CA, ACCA or ATT.
- International tax experience will enhance an application.
- Proven experience in client handling and project management.
- Proven tax experience in producing high quality work within budget.
- Tax experience from a practice background is essential.
- Business development experience and interest in this aspect is desirable.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution. To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.