Innovation Reliefs Associate Tax Director
Southampton, Hampshire, UK; Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK; Crawley, West Sussex, UK; Guildford, Surrey, UK; Reading, Berkshire, UK
About the firm and department
As one of the world’s largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM will help you reach your full potential. Our Innovation Reliefs Team works with a range of companies, from start-ups to multinationals, to assist them in the preparation of claims for Research & Development tax relief.
The team has experienced rapid growth over the past few years, and in the South, is now looking to further grow the team to support continued opportunities. We work with companies across all sectors, most notably manufacturing, engineering, life sciences, software and digital technologies to assist them to identify and prepare successful tax relief claims. The variety of projects and impressive client list will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. Further to this, with access to a global team that spans more than 120 countries, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to broaden your horizons. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!
About the opportunity
An exciting opportunity to work in a large and growing specialist Innovation Reliefs (IR) tax team at RSM within the South Region, you can be based near one of the following offices: Southampton, Basingstoke, Gatwick, Guildford or Reading. The role involves working with our client’s finance teams and also directly with technical specialists at companies who are at the forefront of innovation within their businesses, whilst also experiencing a role in a global professional services firm.
- Managing R&D engagements including financial management and billing, staffing, risk procedures, deliverables and client relationships.
- Determining an appropriate scope of work and budget for each client and propose a fee quote.
- Developing claim methodologies and preparing R&D tax relief claims for submission to HMRC.
- Meeting with clients and potential clients across the region to explain our services.
- Coordinating and leading interviews with clients’ technical and finance teams to advise on the R&D tax relief and to assist with identification of qualifying R&D activities and expenditure.
- Writing technical descriptions of the client’s projects to include in the reports to be sent to HMRC, and also editing client drafted technical descriptions.
- Preparing robust costing and technological documentation to support the R&D claims based on the UK BEIS guidelines and CIRD manual.
- Building an internal network within the wider parts of the firm and an external network with intermediary companies.
- Identifying and progressing business development opportunities, pitching for work with both new and existing clients.
- Preparation of documentation and liaison with HMRC in response to enquiries into R&D Tax claims.
- Acting as a point of contact on specific R&D projects for any queries from the business.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the IR team across the country.
- Ensuring that the R&D engagement team are fully updated on progress and any issues that might affect the client relationship.
- Developing supportive and effective working relationships with members of the team and provide cooperation and input whilst informing others of own activities and progress.
- Reviewing work completed by junior staff for accuracy and completeness, and to provide constructive feedback.
- Ensuring that the R&D engagement team is fully updated on progress and any issues that might affect the client relationship.
- Communicating confidently and knowledgably with Directors and Partners within the firm.
- Ensuring tax quality at all times by adhering to the firm’s quality standards.
- Perceiving the needs and concerns of clients and adapting approaches to meet these needs, whilst maintaining effective and professional working relationships with key client personnel.
- Maintaining an awareness of the firm’s specialist services and publications, ensuring added value to clients and identify opportunities for other services lines.
About the ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will have an in-depth knowledge of Research and Development tax credits, and preferably experience in broader corporate tax.
- Relevant professional qualification, for example CA, ACA and/or CTA.
- High level of tax technical knowledge of the UK’s R&D tax incentives.
- Experience in preparing and submitting R&D tax relief claims in all sectors (experience of making patent box claims would be desirable but not essential).
- Proven experience in a Manager, Senior Manager or Associate Director role in an R&D capacity.
- Knowledge of different claim methodologies, especially any industry specific challenges, over a broad range of industries.
- Ability to make claims within SME and RDEC regimes, and capability to assess group size.
- Knowledgeable as to the tax effect of making a claim within a corporation tax return.
- Proven experience in client handling and managing a busy portfolio.
- Perceives the need and concerns of clients and adapts approach to meet these needs.
- Excellent communication skills in a range of situations both written and oral.
- Demonstrates an understanding of wider business and economic issues.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.