Senior Business Adviser - Ipswich
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll help you succeed
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
We are looking for a Senior Business Adviser to join our vibrant and collaborative medical specialist team in East Anglia. As a Senior Business Adviser you will be required to work closely with and support more senior members of the team in the timely delivery of services. You will work independently and be accountable for the delivery of the project to the manager for review, being the first point of contact for our clients throughout the project.
In addition to accounting and tax capabilities, you will have a rounded business knowledge of the medical sector, able to analyse client data, make recommendations and talk credibly to clients on the issues they face. You will also get involved in ad-hoc advisory work which may include supporting businesses transitioning to digital accounting packages or considering mergers.
At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realise your career aspirations. We will give you the challenge and support you need and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality. Working at BDO enhances your professional development at all stages of your career. Few firms offer the same breadth and quality of work, responsibility and experience. We recognize and reward your high performance and you have the opportunity to excel and share in our success.
In this role you’ll:
- Plan delivery of work on your own portfolio; plan bookings and prepare high-quality files for manager review
- Be proactive in seeking out support from peers and managers when faced with more complex issues
- Liaise with client to resolve queries before submitting accounts to manager for review
- Be the day-to-day contact for your allocated portfolio, escalating issues to more senior members of the team where appropriate
- Prepare tax computations and tax returns for both partnerships and individuals in particular focusing on Pensions Annual Allowance for GPs
- Prepare superannuation reserve computations and both Type 1 and 2 superannuation certificates for review by manager
- Where applicable, review work of more junior team members on your portfolio, including briefings and monitoring of performance to ensure completion of the job
- Work as part of a team to provide ad-hoc accounting assistance and ensure clients are provided with excellent service.
- Complete the client-take-on procedures for new clients, to include preparing engagement letters for manager and partner review
- Where appropriate, attend year-end client meetings with the Partner/Manager to develop your client relationships
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified Accountant (ACCA/ACA) or equivalent experience
- Solid accountancy experience required
- Strong communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting packages including Xero, IRIS GP accounts and Quickbooks is desirable
- Previous experience of medical accounts and tax is preferable
- Experience of working collaboratively in a team to deliver projects
- You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer everyone the opportunity to work in ways that suit them, their teams, and the task in hand.
- At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.