Financial Reporting Assistant Manager
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions businesses need to navigate today’s changing world.
We’ll broaden your horizons
The Business Services and Outsourcing team are essential to meeting our clients' evolving requirements. As well as delivering long-term, sustainable value to businesses by providing a range of solutions such as accounting, payroll and compliance services, they also play a key role in tying together many of our services across BDO both domestically and internationally. By building deep and meaningful relationships with a range of clients from ambitious entrepreneurial SMEs to large multi-national groups, our BS&O team don’t just advise on their specific business challenges, they open doors for other teams to provide our firm’s wider service offering. To succeed in this agile environment, you’ll need to demonstrate excellent problem-solving skills and initiative. In return, you’ll have the opportunity for progression, and the chance to develop in one of the industry’s most exciting and varied roles.
We’ll help you succeed
This is your opportunity to join a fast growing team in a vibrant and modern office environment (although agile working has now been introduced) to hone your financial reporting skills and help to drive the development of the Financial Reporting (‘FR’) team.
As an FR Assistant Manager you will have responsibility for a portfolio of client work, including all aspects of service delivery from client take on to delivery of final reporting and client meetings, ensuring all assignments are delivered to a high quality and within agreed timescales. Portfolio is likely to include high growth clients backed by institutional investors (typically private equity), businesses going through structural or reporting framework change, or large multi-entity groups.
In addition to client facing work you will also work to provide support to the rest of the management team on those operational aspects of the FR business which most appeal to you and fit with your skillset. This might include supporting business development activities, resource management, coaching and feedback to more junior members of staff, ensuring compliance with the stream’s policies and procedures to drive a focus on quality output, and innovation and improvement to the team’s services and procedures. The role is in a fast growing part of the business, and there is a key focus on succession, including the development of junior resource. This might include:
- Act as a key point of contact within the firm for a portfolio of clients. This includes responding quickly to, as well as anticipating, client requests/needs, keeping clients informed of progress in relation to all aspects of the service provided and maintaining regular contact with clients.
- Conduct rigorous project and financial management on all projects, completing projects within agreed timescales and raising issues with clients in a timely manner.
- Engage with clients directly on technical queries and challenges.
- Responsible for the financial management of, and maximising profitability from, a portfolio of clients.
- Ensure that the firm’s risk management and quality control procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Liaison with central departments on risk management, technical and other matters.
- Act as support in respect of sales and marketing for the FR team. This will include support with developing, implementing and embedding operational processes and being in a team responsible for “making things happen” in relation to business development.
- Act as support for the management team in the development of new business relationships and business proposals.
- Building internal and external relationships to identify new business and sales opportunities for new and existing clients.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of brochures, marketing campaigns, and the profile of the FR team throughout the firm.
- Contribute to the preparation of fee quotes for new work, bid documents and bid presentations.
- Collaborating on the day-to-day management of the pipeline, ensuring all opportunities are recorded and proactively followed up.
- Identify and recognise business and sales opportunities with new clients, and inform the senior management team as appropriate.
- Support the management team with the implementation and communication of any new business strategy for existing clients, target clients and the internal business.
Resource allocation, training and development
- Ensure assignments are staffed with the appropriate mix of knowledge and skills required.
- Recruit, retain, develop and motivate our employees, which includes participating in graduate and school leaver recruitment, ensuring job appraisal documentation is completed within deadlines and ensuring appropriate objectives and development plans are in place for counselees.
- Deliver training and support to our employees, using your experience to develop their capability, including identification of any knowledge gaps and helping to fill these.
- Work with the management team with other assistant managers within the business group (e.g. resource planning, performance rating meetings and efficiency gains)
- Report in to and work with the wider Manager team.
- Assist in the development and delivery of training of the FR team
- Act as a role model for the team
When you join us, we’ll make your growth our priority. If you can demonstrate the following skills, we can help you go far. We’re looking for someone with:
- Qualified ACA, ACCA or equivalent.
- Previous experience in a supervisory or assistant manager role, including delivering statutory accounts preparation or audit services to large businesses.
- Excellent working knowledge of FRS 102 and related financial reporting requirements as well as significant previous experience preparing statutory accounts, large consolidations and cash flow statements.
- Significant previous experience in preparing multi-entity consolidations from raw information, including foreign exchange considerations, associates and joint ventures, non-controlling interests and businesses going through change (acquisitions, disposals, re-structures)
- Working knowledge of IFRSs as well as previous experience reconciling IFRS and UK GAAP results.
- Managing and developing staff, i.e. coordinating staff projects, training, mentoring, counselling, appraising, recruiting etc.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively, adopting a logical and methodical approach in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Proven experience in managing a wide portfolio of concurrent projects and project teams in a project management framework, ideally in a client-facing role.
- Working knowledge of financial products, firm services, issues regarding advice and regulation and compliance, including anti-money laundering.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Business development experience - able to contribute to the identification and conversion of opportunities to sell work.
- Working knowledge of financial statements preparation software Caseware.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in them. Across 17 UK locations, we are 6,500 unique minds coming together to help our clients reach their ambitions.
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.