Head of Strategy and Business Management APAC, Managing Director
Across the globe, institutional investors rely on State Street to help them manage risk, respond to challenges through solutions, and drive performance and profitability. We keep our clients at the heart of everything we do, and smart, engaged professionals are essential to our success.
Our commitment to maintain an environment where every employee feels valued and able to meet their full potential infuses our company values. It’s also part of our commitment to inclusion, development and engagement, and corporate social responsibility. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. Join us.
The Head of APAC Strategy and Business Management works closely with the Global and APAC teams, and other senior business leaders to support the development of State Street’s corporate, regional and business-unit strategies and help maximise State Street’s long-term performance.
In addition, the role also leads the Business Management function, which is responsible for tracking execution progress versus regional goals and strategic priorities. This includes management reporting, monitoring deliverables to inform strategic thinking and direction, executing selected cross-enterprise initiatives.Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining is a part of State Street Institutional Services (SSIS). From core custody, accounting, fund administration and shareholder recordkeeping, to complete operations solutions and servicing for alternative assets like OTC derivatives, private equity and real estate, SSIS’ tools help our clients make better investment choices and act on growth opportunities.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for.
What you will be responsible for
As Head of Strategy and Business Management APAC, you will
- Business Strategy – shape and support development of the business strategy, including periodic reviews
- Create / reinforce the linkage between the global and regional strategies
- Regional and BU strategy development – works closely with global and regional senior executives to execute strategic initiatives, and help leadership create and manage to a holistic picture of the regional strategy
- Proactively brings industry and business insights to help management shape strategy, and to provide an independent view / challenge to these plans
- Provides targeted support e.g., Board off-sites, Investor Relations presentations
- Responsible for the management of the Business Management functions
- Working close to the APAC Management to develop the regional goals and track performance and execution progress including for the mid- and year-end performance-measurement process
- Timely production of management reporting and insights and dashboards
- Active oversight and enhancement of existing MI reporting to ensure information is relevant and processes are streamlined
- Develop strong working relationships with other corporate groups (e.g. Strategy, Finance, CAO) to drive common priorities
- Demonstrate the ‘Risk Excellence’ culture in your behaviour
- Maintain a detailed understanding of :
- The scope of the role’s managerial responsibilities
- The competence of the staff reporting to you
- Ensure that your team has clear understanding of their reporting lines, authority levels, scope of responsibilities (including those delegated to them and those they delegate), objectives, training and competency requirements plus progress is reviewed regularly in line with Company policy, and are regulatory registered where appropriate for their role
- Develop effective working relationships and communications with staff and ensure that staff are motivated, developed and supported.
- Establish and monitor systems of control, delegated authority and escalation procedures so that the business complies with internal policies and external regulations and can be managed effectively
- Adhere to the delegation and oversight (management information and escalation) framework in the performance of daily tasks. This includes taking proactive action to ensure there is adequate production of management information that is fits for purpose, and issues are raised as appropriate
- Establish and monitor an effective delegation framework to ensure that tasks are performed by staff members with appropriate capacity and authority level (based on knowledge, skills and competence).
- Establish and monitor an effective oversight framework to ensure that issues are appropriately identified, escalated and resolved. This includes: a) ensuring that appropriate management information is received, considered and challenged as appropriate at intervals proportionate to the risks; and b) that staff members have clear understanding of the escalation path/principles
- Establish and nurture a culture of ‘Risk Excellence’ within the team, encourage an environment of openness that welcomes effective challenge and supports open discussion.
- Ensure that you make reasonable decisions by exercising reasonable care when considering information available to you. This includes taking proactive action to ensure that the information you have is suitable and adequate.
- Establish and nurture a culture of individual ownership of tasks to embed a clear individual sense of accountability into staff members’ behaviour in performing their roles.
- Ensure that the highest level of the Code of Conduct is displayed in your own and staff behavior
These skills will help you succeed in this role
- Strong strategic thinker, with ability to assess complex problems, prioritise key issues, and focus on relevant facts
- Excellent quantitative and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated record of engaging with executive teams in shaping business strategies, developed sense of judgment and ability to balance business needs in an objective and practical way
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build trust and forge good working relationships with senior executives
- Proven ability to influence others and to promote teamwork across the organisation
- Adequate knowledge of the relevant legal and regulatory environment for the industry globally; familiarity with, or exposure to, international regulations would be optimal
- High level of attention to detail
- Proven project leadership and management skills, including proven delivery and execution skills
- Demonstrated ability to motivate employees, build teams and relationships and manage and lead successfully in a matrix environment
- Results oriented, with an ownership mentality
- Ability to work under time pressure across multiple assignments, (re)prioritising as needed
- Energetic approach with a view to developing and improving the business
- 10+ years’ experience in the financial services industry, with a proven track record in management consulting and/or corporate-strategy experience
- MBA, CPA or similar advanced degree required
- Undergraduate degree or above