Associate Consultant, Operations Control
The Associate Control Consultant, Operations Control is a proactive consultant role that is responsible for oversight of the operational control structure of the business practice(s) within C&IS. The Associate Control Consultant provides proactive leadership and guidance to staff partners to strengthen controls, ensure compliance and mitigate operational risk.
This IC role which reports to the C&IS Control Manager/Senior Consultant will provide an opportunity to develop the knowledge and experience of a dynamic and varied environment.
- Foster and promote Northern’s commitment to a strong risk management culture by developing a control mindset within the business.
- Support in the development of controls and measures to identify excessive operational risk and/or control problems at an early stage and ensures that immediate measures are taken to maintain quality and efficiency standards.
- Ensure that current policies and procedures are in place (and are being followed) for business unit functions and are in compliance with organizational standards and regulatory requirements.
- Support in ensuring proper preventative and detective controls are in place for business functions and in driving recommendations to strengthen control.
- Ensure Business Continuity requirements are adhered to, with no deviation from agreed procedures and processes.
- Assist with reviewing all operational losses within the department, analyzing for trends/root causes.
- Assist in recommending and implementing controls, solutions and training.
- Support in all audits and regulatory examinations.
- Track and monitor all audit report and regulatory examination findings to ensure all open issues are resolved and closed in a timely manner.
- Support regional control teams with audit, trustee & compliance reviews.
- Assist with operational and/or corporate risk & control initiatives where directed.
- Stay up to date with industry changes that may impact the risk & quality of our service.
- Should have the ability to maintain various MIS reports and should ensure timely completion of all the MIS and other ad-hoc reports to be submitted to management.
- Liaising effectively with the business and other internal groups and external parties
- May have direct interaction with committees and/or Senior Management
- Perform proactive focused reviews according to agreed priorities of end to end processes and/or clients and key risk areas to maintain quality levels & identify areas for enhancement
- Review any region specific regulatory issues.
- Make recommendations and control implementation by Business Unit. Support in liaising with related central areas including Compliance and Operational Risk and local business Managers who deliver our services to clients. Work closely with local management to determine priorities and objectives for performing reviews. Initiate quality related projects ensuring adequate business plans are created and signed off by all relevant business areas
- Assist with periodic procedure reviews for existing processes, as well as those for new processes created by implementations and take-on activity.
- Assist in data collection for audit-type visits including those from external Trustees and internal audit
- Assist with the maintenance and testing of the Bangalore Business Continuity Plan, liaising with the regional business units being supported by Bangalore for ‘Transfer of Work’ continuity planning.
- Support in ensure the department complies with the requirements of any Training & Competence regulatory regime
- Follow the goals and priorities based on the direction set for the section.
- Produce accurate management information reporting and analysis to deadline
- Maintain effective communication channels at all levels
- Track all review actions / reporting to Senior Management and plan effectively to meet the deadlines set.
- Keep abreast of industry and regulatory developments that may impact the risk and quality of our service.
- Assist in assessing operational readiness of the business unit’s ability to take on new clients, processes, or perform system migrations.
- Employees are required to comply with the regulatory regime in which Northern Trust operates as appropriate to the above role
- Employees are expected to exercise due care and diligence, ensuring the areas the incumbent is responsible for are organized and controlled
- Employees are required to observe proper standards of market, business and personal conduct, demonstrating integrity in the execution of duties
- Overall experience of 5+ years preferably in relevant practice with accounting knowledge
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements in US, UK & Ireland
- Strong accounting / financial services/ auditing/ capital markets work experience or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Accounting, CA or ICWA Inter/Master degree/IAQ/IOC or equivalent(IAQ, IMC etc) a plus
- Knowledge proven subject matter expert or referral point for complex issues
- Should be flexible for shifts and extended working hours.
- Operations partner with knowledge of the relevant business practice including its associated products and supporting operational functions.
- Has a good understanding of end to end processes.
- Strong attention to detail and organization skills.
- Good analytical, numerical and reasoning skills
- Ability to systematically assess & challenge existing processes.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and industry best practices like CASS, IMR, AIFMD, FATCA, UCITS V will be an added advantage
- Strong communication, negotiation and analytical skills are necessary to consult with partners/clients throughout the organization as well as regulators and auditors.
- Effective project management skills are essential to help drive various initiatives.
- Ability to sell the value added benefit of the control function.
- Self-starter with the ability to function independently in a fast-paced, dynamic and demanding environment.
- Proficiency in MS Office (particularly Excel, PowerPoint & Word)
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.