The purpose of this key role is to deliver a robust financial accounting and management support function, working with colleagues across The Company of Watermen and Lightermen of the River Thames.
This role will cover all aspects of accounting from petty cash to management accounts. Dealing with annual subscriptions, Vat returns. Payroll etc. Knowledge of charity accounts would be extremely useful.
We are looking to upgrade our current Sage package so this is a wonderful opportunity to help install a new accounting system and develop it. You will need a good overall accounting background and be a motivated, confident applicant with good communications skills, and proven knowledge of Excel and Word.
We offer a competitive salary and pension. If you are currently studying for an accountancy qualification study leave could be available.
The Assistant Accountant will report to the Assistant Clerk and ultimately to the Clerk (Chief Executive) of the Company. Attention to detail is essential as is the ability to work independently whilst handling changing demands, but with strict deadlines. This is a challenging post, but with great colleagues. We are a small team at Watermen's Hall so the ability to be flexible is vital. This is an excellent role for someone who is looking for variety in their role, and is keen to develop their skills, qualifications and experience.
For a discussion or send your CV to Jacqui Gilbert, Watermen's Hall, 16-18 St Mary at Hill, London, EC3R 8EF, telephone 020 7283 2373. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Applications is 26th June 2022, and interviews will be conducted between 4th – 15th July 2022.
- Job Title: Assistant Accountant
- Direct Line Reporting to: Accountant
- Location of Work: Central London Office based in City, EC3R
- Hours of Work: 40 hours per week – flexible working is available.
- Duration: Permanent
- Salary: £40-50,000
ASSISTANT ACCOUNTANT QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- You will be a fully or near qualified accountant (ACA, CIMA, ACCA or equivalent) with strong experience in financial and management accounting. 5+ years’ experience in a financial management position Proven strategic planning experience at the management level Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint Essential to be proficient in Sage 200 Demonstrated creative and critical thinking skills Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously Strong communication and presentation skills Knowledge of investment accounting and experience of working with investment funds would be an added advantage but is not essential. Knowledge of Charity Accounting and compliance would be an added advantage but is not essential. Ability to produce output to meet strict timelines.
FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING AND PROCESSING
- Ensure all financial transactions are processed in a timely manner Reconciliation of the bank accounts Providing back-office services such as accounts payable and accounts receivables. Ensure all authorised payments are processed in a timely basis Prepare the year-end financial statements and supporting documents in advance of the year end audit Manage the relationship with auditors to ensure annual audits are carried out effectively Develop and enhance existing financial systems and processes Ensure sufficient controls and processes are in place to minimise the risk of fraud
- Prepare financial management information for review by Chief Executive Officer, including - Monthly management accounts - Balance Sheets and Income and Expenditure Accounts - Fixed Assets, Prepayments and Accruals - Monthly cash flow - Annual budgets - Monthly and Quarterly reforecasts Provide support to colleagues with regards to financial processes Support the preparation of the annual budget Manage and monitor the accounting and reporting requirements with the external catering and events partner Provide support to all colleagues in their financial, contract and budget management responsibilities Ensuring the business meets all its statutory and compliance obligations, including statutory accounting and tax issues. Perform a variety of advanced financial analyses to determine present and forecasted financial health of the company Manage the preparation and publication of departmental and organisation financial documents Examine financial and legal documents to verify accuracy and adherence to financial regulations and acceptable financial principles Develop or recommend solutions for problems or situations Carry out all duties in a professional manner and in line with our values Undertake any other roles or responsibilities that may be reasonably required Comply with our policies and procedures at all times, in particular Data Protection Promote and support open and effective collaboration across The Company of Watermen and Lightermen of the River Thames.
- Support compliance with Company and Charity Law Develop external relationships with appropriate contacts, e.g. auditors, solicitors, bankers and statutory organisations such as the HMRC Keep abreast of changes in financial regulations and legislation
- Ensure monthly payroll is managed on a timely basis Ensure administration of all payroll related schemes are managed on a timely basis