IRAS Sr. Associate
Investment Risk and Analytical Services (IRAS) provides Investment Performance and Risk Measurement reporting and analysis, Compliance Guideline Monitoring, and Private Markets reporting and analysis across the Corporate ERISA, Public Funds, Foundations and Endowments, Wealth Management, Global Family Office and Sovereign Wealth Funds client segments. IRAS utilizes a suite of proprietary reporting applications to deliver a broad range of investment analysis from rates of return and asset allocation reporting to benchmark comparisons and attribution analysis. This analysis supports the evaluation, measurement and decision making process of key constituents. IRAS works in tandem with multiple operational and client service focused groups across Northern Trust. The IRAS Sr. Associate uses specific knowledge of the investment analytics and client-servicing disciplines to achieve goals through own work. Has specific knowledge of financial markets and financial concepts, typically gained through formal education and/or equivalent work experience. Uses expertise to provide guidance to others as a project manager or consultant. Requires working knowledge and experience in own job discipline. Continues to build knowledge of the company, processes and clients. Performs a range of assignments related to job discipline. Uses prescribed guidelines or policies in analyzing situations. Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction from more senior level roles.
- Solves problems in straightforward situations
- Analyzes possible solutions using technical experience and judgment and precedents
- Identifies and implements process improvements
- Impacts quality of own work and the work of others on the team
- Works within guidelines and policies
- Independently manages the majority of client relationships who subscribe to more simplistic reporting.
- Remainder of client allocation is in supporting senior partners on clients of varying complexity, (independently evaluating and responding to client inquiries, determining service requirements, providing training, producing client reporting, and helping clients interpret financial metrics to understand the impact of their investment decisions)
- Regularly Interface with senior staff at Northern Trust and/or client offices (CIOs, Treasurers, Directors of Investments), with minimal oversight from more senior partner
- Works with internal operations and client servicing partners to problem solve client issues and requests to ensure accuracy and timeliness of all information provided to clients
- Independently produces custom reporting, and executes client projects with limited oversight
- Provide data quality oversight, assistance with prioritization of work, and mentorship to less tenured team members
- Lead client projects and provide solutions to client requests
- Assist management with strategic projects and initiatives
- Provides formal and informal guidance to new team members
- Accountable for own contributions
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business, finance, technology or related field
- 3-10 years of relevant experience in investment analysis or trust-investment related background, investments operations, client-servicing, or transferable experience from a related field, typically gained through experience as an IRAS Associate
- Interest in, or progress towards CFA, CIPM, CAIA or other investments-related professional designation is a plus
- Excellent business judgment is required in order to quickly assess a situation and proactively develop solutions to complex client needs
- Use of Microsoft Office tools, advanced Excel skills preferred
- Exposure to Northern Trust or third party financial software is a plus
- Strong organizational, written, and verbal client servicing skills.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Requires expanded conceptual knowledge in own job discipline
- Understands key business drivers; uses this understanding to accomplish own work
- Explains complex information to others in straightforward situations
- Uses insights into how the IRAS team integrates with other teams within Business Services, C&IS, and Wealth Management to coordinate efforts and resources to achieve shared and individual objectives, as well as to provide leadership in solving cross-practice problems
- Expected to use judgement to make decisions without seeking approval