Corporate Tax Manager / Associate Director - Public and Third Sector
RSM is a leading provider of audit, tax and consulting services to middle market leaders, globally. With around 3,650 partners and staff in the UK and access to 48,000 people in over 120 countries across the RSM network, we can meet our clients’ needs wherever in the world they operate and offer brilliant career paths to our staff. The variety of projects will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. Further to this, with access to a global team that spans more than 120 countries, you’ll have plenty of opportunity to broaden your horizons. Discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!
RSM’s Public and Third Sector group provides advice to charities, schools, colleges, universities, local / central / devolved government, the NHS, the emergency services,3 housing associations and membership organisations. The sector is extremely important to the firm, accounting for almost 15% of the firm’s total fee income. Tax services to the sector are delivered by a dedicated, national specialist team, which has plans to increase its fee income by 50% over the next two years.
As a result, we are looking to make an addition at the level of Manager or Associate Director, and this individual may be based near any one of our 31 offices in the UK. Given RSM's desire to achieve an inspiring and fulfilling working environment which compliments individuals' personal lives, an array of flexible and hybrid working arrangements are supported.
About the job:
Joining an impressive national Public and Third Sector tax specialist team, you will support the Partners and Directors in delivering the above growth plans. The successful candidate will have opportunities to provide a wide range of advice to clients (including some household names) across the UK and across the Public and Third Sector spectrum. You will work in an environment where you will have a high degree of autonomy, but with support to help develop your knowledge and skills, and with it your career.
- You will be an integral part of a national, high performing corporation tax compliance and advisory team that supports and advises a range of public and third sector organisations. If, alongside this, you would also wish to maintain a portfolio of privately owned, commercial corporate clients then that can be arranged.
- On a day-to-day basis you will work closely with your colleagues to deliver a high-quality corporation tax compliance service to your clients and to address any queries or enquiries regarding tax filings from HMRC.
- In addition, you will work closely with your colleagues to provide value adding, technically accurate, clear and concise tax advice covering a range of technical issues relevant to your client’s business risks, challenges and opportunities. Such areas are likely to include: tax risks to charities (eg non-primary purpose trading, overages), Gift Aid, corporate structures, qualifying investments/loans, the use of creative sector tax reliefs, tax governance, property acquisitions, developments and disposals.
- You will be a key part of the service team for a variety of clients, and will quickly become their day-to-day contact, with regular dialogue with key members of the client’s team in order to plan and execute the delivery of our services.
- You will be expected to and be given the opportunity to build your external network and profile through, for example, social media, events hosted by the Charity Finance Group and National Housing Federation, and participation in RSM webinars and seminars.
- You will also be expected to build your network and profile within RSM, to maintain an understanding of the breadth of the firm’s capability and general business and economic factors relevant to our clients, and to secure internal referrals from other service lines.
- You will work closely with the Partners and Directors in tax and other service lines to go out to market and support business development activities. This is likely to involve assistance with the preparation of proposal documents, and participation in pitches and presentations.
- You will also work closely with colleagues in other departments (notably VAT) to support them in providing a high-quality service to their clients and to identify corporate tax related risks and opportunities.
- We have a mindset of ensuring continual improvement in our skills, knowledge and capability for the benefit of our colleagues and our clients which you will be expected to embrace as part of your own development and promote by way of providing coaching and guidance to junior members of the team.
Minimum Qualifications:About the ideal candidate
You will have solid corporate client advisory experience, effective team leadership and an interest and/or aptitude in business development. Opportunities for progression are open for the right candidate with excellent support for training and development all the way to Partner level.
- ACA qualified (or equivalent). CTA qualified preferred, or proven tax advisory experience.
- Experience of working in, and a demonstratable passion for working with, clients in the public and third sector.
- Experience of a client or customer facing role.
- Proven experience in client handling and managing a busy portfolio.
- Interest in building client relationships in order to generate fee-paying work.
- Experience of operating, or an exhibited ability to operate, at a Tax Tanager or Associate Director level within a busy professional practice.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM:
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.