Accounting & Business Advisory Assistant
Overall job purpose
Included within the Accounting and Business Advisory (ABA) department sits our outsourcing and management accounts team where we are responsible for the preparation of management accounts for SME clients. The purpose of the role will be to assist in the preparation of monthly and quarterly management accounts. The successful candidate will also need to be able to prepare year end statutory accounts.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be working towards their AAT qualification with a view to continuing studies
- General bookkeeping for clients, including processing of data on Xero.
- Prepare management accounts to required standard to ensure files are prepared and documented with sufficient evidence for review.
- Preparation of VAT returns.
- Attend staff meetings and training as required.
- To ensure that jobs are completed to the highest standard, within the agreed internal budget for the job and to discuss all material points arising on the assignment with the manager / partner and client
- To plan assignments in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirm arrangements with the client, including likely costs and billing arrangement
- Field client queries relating to their accounting system, more often than not on Xero
- Deal quickly and effectively with client queries (client focus)
- Practice the principles of excellent client service at all times
- To develop a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services, identify opportunities to the management team
- To maintain own technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses, and to fulfil any development or training requirements
- To be involved in any other administrative departmental and office issues as deemed appropriate
- To carry out any duties assigned the Supervisor or Manager, thoroughly, in a timely manner and in accordance with the firm’s procedures
- Be confident liaising with
- Produce account analysis and control account reconciliation schedules for inclusion on the assignment file
- To complete iXBRL tagging of financial statements
Key Performance Measures
- Delivery of high quality management accounts and overall service to clients
- Deadlines are met
- Budgets achieved
- Adherence to the firm’s procedures
- Flexibility towards hours of work and tasks performed including assisting other staff e.g. dealing with urgent tasks at short notice when required
- To keep confidential any information obtained concerning the business affairs of the Firm, its staff and clients
- Portray the Firm in a professional manner through appearance, conduct and attitude
Personal and professional qualities
The role requires:
- A good understanding of UK financial reporting requirements
- An understanding of the following accounting packages: Xero and Sage.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Well-developed people skills to relate to clients and colleagues
- Good organisational and time management skills
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, inclusion and diversity are central to our values. We have an authentic focus on intentional inclusion, enabling our people to feel they can bring their whole self to work and ensuring everyone feels supported, respected and confident to make a valuable contribution.
To find out more, please visit our Diversity and Inclusion page on our Careers Website.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.