Accountant, Functional Control - Hybrid
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
As a Northern Trust employee (Partner), you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve.
Northern Trust is committed to working with and providing adjustments to individuals with health conditions and disabilities. If you would benefit from adjustments for any part of the employment process, please inform the recruiter to discuss your individual requirements.
We strive to have a globally diverse workforce where engagement and inclusion drive business excellence. We believe in the power of collaborative partnerships and are proud to work with a number of organisations across EMEA who provide us with ongoing knowledge, education and insights to support our efforts.
We monitor our progress by participating in market benchmarks which assess industry best practice and are delighted to have received a Silver Award from the Mind Workplace Wellbeing Index over two consecutive years, and a Gold Award from the UK Ministry of Defence Employer Recognition Scheme.
This is a permanent role within the Functional Control Team in Finance. The Functional Control Team supports the expanding and increasingly complex business requirements. The successful individual will work as part of the Functional Control Team within Limerick Finance reporting to Functional Control Team Leader.
This successful candidate will be responsible for completing functional control processes to support the global entities, focusing on Europe but also some involvement with the North America and Asia Pacific entities. This team is responsible for the accounting and Finance oversight of the source systems within the business, including processing journals, reconciliations, analysis and other controls. The team is responsible for ensuring the banking activities of the NT entities in scope are accurately recorded in the General Ledger each month and will own significant parts of the balance sheet and income statement. The team also has some involvement in the design and testing of new products and systems, assisting the Functional Control teams in London and Chicago with those projects.
The successful candidate will work with a variety of operations and other Finance teams to understand the business and ensure that the books and records accurately reflect the business undertaken, with adherence to accounting policy requirements, US GAAP and IFRS for the relevant legal entities.
- Complete the daily/weekly/monthly accounting, reporting and oversight to support the financial accounting and reporting processes;
- Produce monthly reconciliations and ensure all documentation and accounting is completed in line with corporate requirements and policies;
- Produce month end analytics and trend data to assist with the review and validation of financial results;
- Understand the end to end process flow, acting as the link between the front/middle/back office and Finance;
- Investigation of issues affecting financial and regulatory reporting, documentation of issues and concluding on new or improved controls required;
- Work with the team to recommend and implement standardised process improvements identified in day to day activities;
- Respond to and resolve queries on a timely basis from the Business, Finance colleagues and Head Office as they arise; and
- Provide technical input to systems and business process projects as required.
Skills / Experience
- Self-starter with an ability to self-motivate
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Highly numerate with strong analytical skills and high attention to detail
- Ability to assess issues, identify solutions and problem solve
- Ability to react and respond on a timely basis
- Ability to adapt and react positively in a changing and dynamic work environment
- Flexible approach towards changing work methods, deadlines and variable workloads
- Qualified accountant or studying towards an accountancy qualification. Experience in a multi-currency financial services environment preferred.
- Experienced background in a corporate financial control environment with a sound knowledge of accounting, reporting and financial control requirements
- Experience of US GAAP or IFRS would be an advantage but is not essential
- Advanced level of IT skills notably MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio)
Please note that this role may require the successful candidate to travel to other NT locations as required
Working with Us:
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world’s most admired and ethical companies. In return, we will support you with your personal and career goals in a number of ways:
Financial – Life Assurance, Disability Plan, Pension/ Gratuity, Annual Pay Review
Work life balance – Flexible Work Options, Incremental Annual Leave, Community Volunteer Days
Health & wellbeing – Private Medical Insurance, Active Sports & Social clubs (lunchtime and after-work groups), Employee Assistance Program
Professional development – Clear Career Path, Education Assistance, Recognition Programme, NT University (wide range of online, virtual & in-house training options) and employee-led Business Resource Councils dedicated to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
We hope you’re excited about the role and the opportunity to work with us.
We value an inclusive workplace and understand flexibility means different things to different people.
Apply today and talk to us about your flexible working requirements and together we can achieve greater.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.