Morgan Stanley Europe Product Controller - Director (AVP Equivalent)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and a strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Finance Division reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm's books and records, and by contributing to firmwide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley's various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley's various businesses and its senior management team.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarises, plans and forecasts the organisation's financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Control.
The Continental European Product Control team is part of the International Securities Finance Group located across Frankfurt and Paris, which is part of the wider EMEA team focused in London.
The team's overall role is to provide financial analysis and business performance metrics to support senior management decision making. This encompasses daily revenue analysis, profitability and balance sheet reporting plus liquidity, funding, capital and ROE analysis. The team is also responsible for signing off the month end financial statements and presentation of these to firm management and external auditors/regulators.
The Continental European business forms a growing and increasingly important part of Morgan Stanley's strategy to service its European clients. The team covers all International Securities Group businesses in Continental Europe from trading portfolios in Fixed Income & Equities Divisions through to Investment Banking revenues.
The candidate will be involved in various aspects of the P&L review, analysis, and commentary. The role has daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly deliverables as well as a significant number of ad hoc queries.
The role will include:
- Understanding and explaining the key drivers of the P&L
- Supporting Senior Management in decision making
- Control Financials to be compliant with regulations and audit requirements
- Working closely with trading desks
- Business Performance: Assisting with production of monthly business packs for desk heads.
- Ad Hoc: Projects and Queries raised by senior Finance and Business Unit management
- University Degree in Finance, additional qualifications preferred (Chartered Accountant, CFA, Masters in Finance)
- Prior experience of working in Financial Services
- Knowledge of financial products
- Attention to detail
- Strong project management and communication skills
- The ability to work on multiple tasks, with multiple stakeholders
- High self-motivation with a proven ability to create and improve processes
- Ability to partner and work effectively both with direct team members and with colleagues across the wider organisation
- Proficient in MS Office, specifically a strong command of Excel and PowerPoint