Senior Auditor - Internal Risk Audit
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.
Company and department summary:
Founded in Chicago in 1889, Northern Trust is one of the world’s leading financial institutions. We specialize in providing asset servicing solutions and asset management to both institutional and personal clients. The delivery of products and services to this client base is supported through a network of offices in more than 20 countries around the globe.
We believe our most valuable asset is our engaged, empowered, and diverse workforce. As a global institution, Northern Trust is committed to building upon this diverse talent through encouraging innovative thinking and personal courage in an inclusive environment. Audit Services provides the opportunity for financial services professionals to work on some of the most challenging issues in the industry to apply knowledge, insights, and objectivity to protect and strengthen Northern Trust’s legacy.
Audit Services independently and objectively assesses operational, financial, compliance, risk management, and corporate governance processes to evaluate the adequacy of the design and effectiveness of key internal controls. In addition to providing assurance, Audit Services offers advice as a trusted partner with process subject matter expertise.
The Global and Business Services Team within Audit Services is responsible for providing assurance focused on Northern Trust’s core banking (i.e., loans and deposits) and asset servicing (i.e., custody) operations, in addition to evaluating and advising on implementation of new and emerging technology such as robotic process automation. With this focus, team members have the unique opportunity to develop views towards enterprise risks across global processes and key technologies, drive thought leadership in assessing fraud risks and controls, and create data analytics strategies to increase assurance effectiveness. Team members are encouraged to build authentic relationships, think creatively and challenge the status quo, seek emerging trends and develop an insightful point-of-view, and hold themselves accountable in a flexible and delivery driven culture.
The Senior Auditor I is an “Auditor in Charge” on the Global Services team, who conducts and executes audits throughout the corporation. This role leads project teams, which includes providing oversight to the audit team and communicating results of the engagement to management. The Senior Auditor I works closely with the audit managers to confirm the scope of the audit and to devise an appropriate testing approach to be performed during the engagement. The Senior Auditor I is responsible for workpaper quality, thoroughness, accuracy, and timeliness. The Senior Auditor I must possess strong written and oral communication skills, a desire to promote a collaborative environment, and help further enhance the risk and control environment for the organization.
- Completing required planning documentation, performing process walkthrough meetings, and drafting risks, controls, and tests
- Execute testing in accordance with Audit Services’ Standards and producing clear and concise documentation that aligns the test attributes with test objectives, and connecting conclusions reached with the related to test results
- Functions in various roles on audit assignments, including leading audits, staffing audits, and providing oversight functions based on the needs of the team
- Demonstrating professional skepticism and comfort with questioning how certain processes are being performed in order to identify enhancement opportunities
- Applies analytical skills to review information, perform assessments of the audit results, and evaluate the adequacy of controls
- Obtaining and maintaining a thorough understanding of the Audit Services' Internal Audit Charter, Policy and Methodology, and adhering to all applicable requirements within those documents
- Works closely with audit managers to perform/develop the audit planning, scoping, and fieldwork execution strategy
- Reviews the work papers of the audit team members ensuring that departmental standards have been met
- Ensure audit work including workpaper documentation, findings, and the final report adheres to Audit Services methodology and are clear, thorough but concise, and adequately support findings
- Completes and compiles findings and recommendations for the purpose of status updates, memos, and audit reports
- Gaining and continually expanding understanding of Northern Trust's business units, products & services, and operating environment and the associated business risks (internal to NT and external that impact NT), controls and processes, along with knowledge of the impact of technology applications within responsible areas
- Developing adaptability in communication style and approach based on audience, risk, and purpose to ensure messaging is appropriate and productive with internal Audit Services partners at all levels and business unit teams
- Perform issue validation and assist audit team members with issue validation as necessary
The successful candidate will benefit from having:
- Comprehensive knowledge of internal audit processes such as sampling, testing, and process/control walkthroughs with strong workpaper documentation skills. Experience with internal audit in the financial services industry is preferred but not mandatory
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications; experience with audit workpaper applications preferred
- Professional certifications (e.g., CPA, CISA, CIA, ACA, ACCA) and/or an MBA along with demonstrated technical abilities in select areas (e.g., accounting, regulatory compliance, etc.) are preferred but not mandatory
- General knowledge of the operations, functions, and objectives of interfacing areas is required to properly perform audits on operations, services, systems, workflow, and operational impact on other areas
- Proven ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change
- A College or University degree and/or adept auditing experience in a financial institution, or similar public accounting experience
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.