Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate Reviews
At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including M&M Food Market, Fas Gas Plus, Pioneer, RaceTrac, Superpumper, Ultramar, Chevron, Esso, and ON the RUN.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We’re also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
Position Title: Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate Reviews
Team and Location: Finance – Calgary, AB
Reporting to the Manager, Corporate Reviews, the Senior Financial Analyst, Corporate Reviews will be a key member of the Corporate Finance Team and will work with a team of one Financial Analyst and liaise with finance teams from all of Parkland’s business segments. The Senior Financial Analyst will be involved in establishing and documenting management level controls around complex accounting transactions, integration of new acquisitions, reconciliation of certain balance sheet accounts, performing routine corporate accounting review, and contributing to process improvement and special projects.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an ambitious, self-motivated and enthusiastic individual who is looking for a career and opportunities to learn with a vibrant and fast-growing company.
- Consolidation & Corporate Accounting (which may include, but is not limited to):
- Detailed analytical procedures and variance analysis.
- Conduct site visits to various Parkland divisions to work with teams and re-perform reconciliations and management level review.
- Summarize and report annual plan for performance of controls. Suggesting and implement process improvements based on findings.
- Liaise with Internal Audit to assess, improve and/or implement management level controls in accordance with COSO/SOX Frameworks.
- Work closely with IT management to evaluate and monitor compliance of key financial systems when integrating new acquisitions and on-going compliance thereon.
- Document and report the results of corporate reviews to management, communicating control gaps and weaknesses to process owners.
- Communicate findings noted to Internal audit on walkthroughs and controls re-performed.
- Assist in IT projects such as OneStream account reconciliation, RPA and other reconciliation tools in automation and streamlining consolidation process.
- Perform monthly analytical procedures, investigate discrepancies, propose adjustments, and develop long-term resolutions to prevent future issues and errors.
- Support the financial reporting team in preparation of the financial statements and MD&A for quarterly reporting on ad-hoc basis.
- Respond to and support auditor requests throughout the year. Prepare quality working papers and documentation for review.
- Be a trusted and reliable resource who will work closely with the team in Corporate Finance and other Divisions.
- Identify process improvement initiatives and actively participate in process improvement projects for consolidation and corporate accounting.
- Team Collaboration
- Working closely with Financial Reporting Group and Fixed asset group to get required information for management review.
- Work closely with team members from Tax, Treasury, Corporate Development, Investor Relations, Integrations, Procurement, Communications etc., to support monthly/quarterly deliverables and projects as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Senior Financial Analyst, Financial Reporting or Complex accounting at a mid to large cap publicly traded, high growth company with multi-currency subsidiaries or Experienced Manager in a “Big 4” public accounting firm working in an accounting or auditing role with Canadian public companies, preferably those in high-growth or acquisitive environments.
- Minimum of 6 years progressive experience, a preferrable 4 years of experience working in public accounting firm, with experience in SOX framework.
- CPA, CA designation.
- Strong knowledge and experience with public company accounting requirements, IFRS, working with complex accounting issues.
- Strong understanding of financial statement close processes and accounting matters applicable to public companies.
- Strong knowledge and experience with acquisition accounting, business combinations and accounting integrations.
- Experience with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne ERP or another ERP system.
- Experience with OneStream is advantageous but not required.
- Experience of accounting in relevant non-financial industries (e.g., retail, manufacturing, marketing, distribution, technology, downstream oil, and gas, etc.).
Skills and Attributes required:
- Excellent accounting analysis and problem solving skills.
- Ability to proactively identify, understand and grasp issues, problems and the overall "big picture.
- Ability to "tell the story" behind the data as well as formulate a plan, solutions and alternatives to resolve issues with best practices and successfully execute on issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating an ability to make complex issues and processes clear and understandable to key stakeholders and decision makers.
- Excellent Excel skills – must be comfortable working with large volumes of data using advanced excel functions.
- Willingness to learn, improve existing processes, and confront new challenges.
- Self-motivated problem solver with a relentless focus on high quality results and operational excellence.
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to motivate teams when working with all business units and operations.
- Attention to detail with ability to manage time, work independently, and multi-task.
- Ability and willingness to work on evenings and weekends.
- Enthusiastic and committed to getting the job done in a fast paced, high-performing, dynamic environment with a willingness to "roll up the sleeves" and "get the job done" attitude.
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- A flexible group benefit plan that offers health and dental coverage choices to meet the needs of each unique employee. Inclusive of life and disability insurances, Health Care and Lifestyle Spending options, and a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- An employee referral program – earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.