Manager Payroll & Accounting
Manages the payroll and travel accounting processes in accordance with Company policies and government regulations, ensuring employees are paid accurately and timely, expenses are reimbursed properly, and payroll and reimbursable expenses are recorded properly and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in the financial systems. Manages a staff responsible for the timely and accurate processing and reporting of payroll, payroll taxes, employee benefits, and travel and other reimbursable expenses. Manages system processes and upgrades of the automated payroll, timekeeping systems, and travel expense reporting systems.
- Responsible for timely and accurate processing of all payrolls in accordance with Company policies and government regulations.
- Oversees weekly nonexempt payroll and semi-monthly exempt payroll to ensure all transactions are supported by proper documentation, new or revised information is reflected accurately in the payroll system, void and manual disbursements have been properly recorded, and the reconciliation of exempt payroll is complete and balanced.
- Reviews special payrolls, including bonus payments and executive compensation arrangements, to ensure disbursements, accounting, and reporting are accurate and reported in compliance with Company policy and government regulations. Coordinates with Human Resources as needed regarding timing of payments and calculation of amounts.
- Ensures all deadlines are met.
- Through reading, CPE, and research, maintains awareness of new and modified technical accounting rules, tax rules, and labor laws associated with the Payroll function. Discusses potential impact to Mary Kay Inc. with Payroll team, Human Resources, Corporate Tax, and other business partners as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with third party providers of payroll tax filing services to ensure the needs of the Payroll area are being addressed, to review new or enhanced services, and to address any problems and monitor resolution.
- Assists users as necessary with questions, issues, and instructions.
- Prepares Company communications regarding W2s, electronic timekeeping, and other payroll-related topics, ensuring communications are relevant, timely, and accurate.
- Responsible for the accounting and reporting for all employee labor, benefits, payroll-related activities, travel and reimbursable expenses during month-end, quarter-end, and year-end general ledger close.
- Exercises judgment regarding the application of accounting and reporting rules, the application of government regulations, and the recording of financial transactions in accordance with GAAP.
- Ensures accurate financial results by reviewing and approving journal entries prepared by staff, reviewing financial statements, analyzing account balances for unusual trends, and presenting results to Management.
- Analyzes and reconciles payroll-related general ledger accounts to ensure activity is recorded appropriately, ensuring complete confidentiality of payroll information.
- Recognizes unusual patterns or anomalies in payroll data and determines resolution based on materiality of issue, impact to business and/or employees, and risk to current deadlines.
- Explores options to reduce manual processes, provide enhanced analytical functionality, and increase efficiency in month-end closing and reporting.
- Assists groups throughout the Company with ad-hoc requests for financial information.
- Performs special projects on request for management, external auditors, and internal auditors. Analyzes complex information and benchmarks research using relevant tools and considering multiple factors. Responsible for providing management responses to all Internal Audit recommendations for Payroll and for executing those recommendations.
- Responsible for system processes and upgrades of the automated payroll and timekeeping systems.
- Demonstrates advanced understanding of systems used in the Payroll function and understands impact of systems to and from other areas of the business.
- Functions as payroll expert during implementations and enhancements of payroll, timekeeping, and HR systems.
- Ensures proper testing and validation is conducted on system modifications.
- Collaborates with business partners responsible for systems that interface with the Payroll system, providing guidance, assisting with testing, and ensuring accuracy of data.
- Provides training to employees throughout the Company when system upgrades and policy changes are implemented.
- Helps team members adapt to changes and provides guidance for assisting employees with questions.
- When unusual situations arise that impact the Payroll system, collaborates with impacted teams to evaluate options and identify solutions; manages design and implementation of solutions.
- Leads Mary Kay’s Purchasing Card and Travel Card Programs.
- Liaises with account managers from the banks underwriting Mary Kay’s card programs. Negotiates contract provisions, including payment terms, rebate percentages, and volume requirements.
- Ensures program is compliant with all terms of our Card agreements with the banks.
- Works with bank contacts and Treasury as necessary to evaluate new initiatives and determine their relevance and value to Mary Kay.
- Implements both bank required and Company-mandated changes to the programs as necessary (e.g., card limits, statement date changes, etc.)
- Directs strategy for card programs in cooperation with the Director and ensures that plans for growth are aligned with Corporate spending initiatives.
- Serves as primary contact for third-party vendors who provide systems and/or other support associated with Mary Kay’s card programs. Ensures that management of those vendor relationships is compliant with Company Indirect Procurement policies.
- Manages the Travel Accounting team and serves as a business advisor to counterparts in international markets.
- Manages Payroll team.
- Implements Company, division, and department development initiatives to ensure that direct reports are adequately prepared and trained for their positions.
- Works closely with Director to create key performance objectives and strategies for area of supervision and holds primary responsibility for aligning objectives with appropriate staff and ensuring objectives are executed.
- Identifies areas of development for direct reports and provides mentorship, direction, and plans of action for professional growth.
- Oversees and is accountable for the administration of all human resource activities or the resolution of any human resource concerns for the Payroll area.
- Ensures Payroll area maintains adequate personnel coverage and serves as a backup for direct reports when needed.
- Participates with the Director in the development of department goals and objectives. Assists the Director in determining staffing needs, department forecasts, and personnel-related matters as appropriate.
- Reviews and coordinates updates for payroll processing documentation and business continuity plan.
- Conducts cross training of staff to enable payroll staff members to assist in other capacities when co-workers are absent.
- Responsible for timely and accurate processing and reporting of expatriate payrolls.
- Analyzes expatriate payroll and benefit data to ensure compensation is in accordance with contractual agreements and W2 reporting includes all earnings required by complex IRS regulations for expatriate payroll.
- Provides information to outside tax consultants for use in tax planning and preparation of expatriate income tax returns.
- Calculates accrual for Company liabilities relating to expatriate income taxes, maintains detail records of accruals and actual tax payments, and prepares reconciling entries.
- Provides subsidiary billing information and communicates with subsidiary finance personnel to explain expatriate billings and collect information on benefits paid by the subsidiary which must be reported as U.S. earnings.
- Reviews quarterly and year-end reporting and information for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with IRS regulations.
- Analyzes and reconciles data to ensure accuracy of quarterly and annual federal and state payroll tax returns; performs research as needed to reconcile and ensure all information is being reported properly.
- Audits annual W2s to ensure data is accurate and reconciles to payroll activity for the year; collaborates with Benefits to ensure their W2 data is reconciled and assists with research of any discrepancies.
- Reviews detailed moving and relocation schedules to verify propriety of expense classification and HR approval; provides summary information to the Payroll team for tax gross-up and reporting.
- Ensures all tax filing deadlines are met.
Skills & Experience
Experience: 7+ years in computerized payroll and accounting systems; 2+ years of supervisory Experience:
Education: Bachelor/University Degree in Accounting
License/Certfication Preferred: Certified Payroll Professional and Certified Public Accountant
Additional Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to exercise extreme discretion in dealing with confidential information including financial, payroll, and audit information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to successfully work with Company management, employees at all levels, external accountants, consultants, vendors, etc.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to manage multiple projects, expectations of multiple business partners, and changes in priorities.
- Internal Controls: Writes and reviews policies and procedures with an internal control mindset. Gives guidance on improving internal controls and policies and procedures within own area and with business partners. Identifies issues with internal controls and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Technology: Utilizes digital tools to perform tasks at a high level of productivity. Identifies and supports transformation of processes with technology and evaluates the cost effectiveness, ROI, and key benefits of new or existing technologies. Identifies when use of digital tools is not effective or practical. Understands the applicable systems used in the payroll function and how these systems are integrated with other company systems. Can identify the risks, dependencies, and downstream effects when these systems and related systems or processes are modified.
- Influencing and Storytelling with Data: Organizes and structures presentations or communications in a way that is easily understandable to the audience. Uses judgement to validate that data is relevant and used in the proper context. Develops stories and builds arguments using data and visuals that lead audiences to clear conclusions in ways that compel action.
- Builds and maintains trusting relationships by actively listening to stakeholders and backing up opinions with facts, knowledge, and logic. Understands the broader business and strategic goals of the Company.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website via the apply button below.