Head of Tax Services, Global Fund Services
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With more than 130 years of financial experience and over 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
The Head of GFS Tax is responsible for managing the daily tax operation and is accountable for the performance and results of the division. In addition, the individual is responsible for guiding tax policy and ensuring the team is technically equipped to deliver a range of tax deliverables for mutual funds and other investment vehicles on time and with a high degree of accuracy. The individual will be instrumental in developing the functional strategy, executing on business plans, enabling business growth and optimizing the operation.
- Manage tax deliverables for investment management clients. Ensure high quality tax services are provided to clients with a focus on accuracy, presentation, content and timeliness of delivery.
- Create tax policies as needed to support growing client base and compliance with industry driven changes at the state and federal level. Engage with outside auditors, consultants, vendors and other third parties to ensure the best industry practices are integrated into our business.
- Implement and ensure appropriate policies, procedures, and controls are in place.
- Build relationships with key accounting and tax firms and participate in industry forums.
- Develop and execute long-term functional strategy to achieve key business objectives; Sets strategy in line with company strategy and objectives.
- Apply in-depth knowledge of own organization function as well as business and commercial expertise to differentiate the company from the competition
- Promote the growth of business through direct or indirect engagement in client and prospect meetings.
- Contribute to vendor management, ensuring quality of service and competitive commercial arrangements.
- Sign various tax forms on behalf of one or more clients.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Work with Business Analyst & IT teams to drive operational improvement and embrace new technology and automation.
- Lead complex initiatives involving multiple disciplines and/or ambiguous issues.
- Display a balanced, cross-functional perspective, liaising across business lines to improve efficiency, effectiveness and productivity.
- Direct the resolution of highly complex or unusual business problems applying advanced critical thinking.
- Work with extended management team to develop partners, both technically and professionally and contribute to overall people management process.
- Confident, dynamic leader and driver of change.
- Demonstrated hands-on approach and success in leading in a team-based environment.
- Proactive, pragmatic, and solutions-minded.
- Highly flexible and adaptable.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Commercial acumen to properly evaluate business decisions and trade-offs.
- Knowledge of business strategy development is necessary to provide long term planning and to manage the profitability/performance of the business segment.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, economics or related field required. CPA or Masters in Tax preferred.
- 4+ years in public accounting.
- 10+ years of management and technical experience in Mutual Fund / Registered Investment Company tax.
- Previous experience managing an entire tax function or business unit and making independent decisions on behalf of the business.
For further information, and to apply, please visit our website via the “Apply” button below.